What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two into One Wiring

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
What is the accepted practice for getting two wires into one? Run two wires into one end of a butt splice and one wire out the other end?

What is the accepted practice for getting two wires into one? Run two wires into one end of a butt splice and one wire out the other end?

Yep. I have also used solder sleeves but it's not my preferred approach.

dont bury

and don't bury this in a harness somewhere; make it obvious where the splice is, maybe even use a terminal block. I tried to bring all my connections to a terminal or termination to avoid wire splices mid-harness.

I have stripped a section maybe 1/2" long on the through-wire and soldered the added wire to it there. Slip some shrink tube over it and done.

Dave

2 into 1

Butt splice for this works fine. I like to strip the 2 wires back 1/2” or more, fan out the wire strands on both, lay 1 fan on top of the other and twist them together. Trim to appropriate length for your aviation grade butt splice and crimp as normal.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Mid wire splice

I have stripped a section maybe 1/2" long on the through-wire and soldered the added wire to it there. Slip some shrink tube over it and done.

Dave

That's my preferred method. Slip a solder sleeve up and you get solder and heat shrink in one splice.

Back