What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amazon Tungsten Block?

You will want something narrower than that.
Be advised that tungsten is really hard to cut. Really hard.
My advice is to pony up for a bar. It will replace pretty much all you other bars except for the rare cases.

I am assuming that what is being discussed is Tungsten Carbide ? The same material as lathe and milling machine cutting tools ? Because pure Tungsten is not nearly as hard but still very dense (double that of steel). Tungsten carbide could chip if there is impact. But I'm assuming would be fine if the impact was on annealed aluminum rivets.

If you need to cut Tungsten Carbide then wire EDM is the best and most available method. To remove sharp edges would require a diamond wheel, usually steel with diamond grit held in a nickel plating.

Attachments

• Tungsten-1.JPG
    Tungsten-1.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Tungsten-2.JPG
    Tungsten-2.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I’ve actual;ly gotta couple of pieces of Tungsten that were never intended as bucking bars, but work great where they fit. One is a cube, sort of like the OP describes, and another is a cylinder that someone said was a helicopter blade counterweight when they tossed it my way. If its heavy and hard, and fits where you need it, its a bucking bar! ;)

(Note that I also have a set of ACTUAL Tungsten bucking bars that get used most of the time….)

I don’t believe the tungsten bucking bars we use are tungsten carbide. We don’t need the high hardness as much as we like the high weight. Depleted uranium would work well as a bucking bar, too. :rolleyes:

I don’t believe the tungsten bucking bars we use are tungsten carbide. We don’t need the high hardness as much as we like the high weight. Depleted uranium would work well as a bucking bar, too. :rolleyes:

+1

Tungsten carbide is insanely hard and brittle. It would be a poor fit for bucking bar duty. FYI, I still use high speed steel or cobalt for the mill and lathe in many applications.

Larry

I’ve actual;ly gotta couple of pieces of Tungsten that were never intended as bucking bars, but work great where they fit. One is a cube, sort of like the OP describes, and another is a cylinder that someone said was a helicopter blade counterweight when they tossed it my way. If its heavy and hard, and fits where you need it, its a bucking bar! ;)

(Note that I also have a set of ACTUAL Tungsten bucking bars that get used most of the time….)

I have one as well. Helicopter blade balance. It doesn't get used often because it's round but the few times it was used, no other bar I had would work. You can never have too many bars!:D

Back