What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old white gelcoat tips, versus newer grey gelcoat?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
My project 8 was purchased originally in 2007. I'm finally getting to the fiberglass tips, and they are the original white gelcoat version. While preparing to drill one of the HS tips today, a chunk of gelcoat chipped off in my hands. Not confidence inspiring.

So:
1. Repair and recoat the flaw and wait for future chips elsewhere?
2. Inspect and poke and prod all other fiberglass parts to find flaws now?
3. Bag the old white tips and order newer grey ones?

I know they're all dimensionally the same, but is there any other change in the newer grey ones to make them a better choice over white ones who have not had an easy life and are already 15 years old?

Wing Tip Identification

The W-415 is the early flat top Hoerner-style tip. They are flat on top and rounded underneath.

Below is a pic of the W-715 (Bat Wing) tip and the latest W-715-1 tip:

i-LdZFmX2.jpg

The wing tips are white bat wings, and seem fine. I'm not aesthetically challenged by them. If I find structural issues with them, then I'll ask the question again.
Right now, I'm wondering how to fix the chipping gel coat, and wondering further if this is likely to be a one-off issue, or should I question all of the older tips? Is there anything more to the newer grey gel coat than a change of color that would make replacing all of the older white tips worth considering?

I've installed both tip types and don't remember a significant difference. That said, a PM to Scott McDaniels might get you some insight about any practical differences.

I have an RV-8 of similar vintage with the white gelcoat bat wing tips. I flew my plane for two years before painting in 2013. A year a after painting a crack in the gelcoat appeared on the top of my right wing tip.

I've heard of others who have had similar experiences. Some recommend removal of the gelcoat before painting.

white vs grey fiberglass parts

I know they're all dimensionally the same, but is there any other change in the newer grey ones to make them a better choice over white ones who have not had an easy life and are already 15 years old?

About 2 weeks prior to painting, I had to replace an original white elevator tip with a new grey one. No difference in the part design or construction that I could see. It is still a gel coated polyester resin part. The only difference was the color of the gelcoat. The reason for replacement was some voids under the gelcoat broke through the surface of the part (probably not what you wanted to hear :) ) In that case I thought it easier to replace the part than to repair it. (Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of the part.)

But, the rest of the story is, after 1000 hrs flying (about 900 after paint) I have had zero cracks or voids on any of the fiberglass parts. My wingtips are the original sheared tip design (W-415). I did stiffen the tops of them just to avoid the sagging/flexing/paint cracks reported by some builders. No extra measures taken to track down fiberglass voids. YMMV.

Also, all of my polyester fiberglass parts are mid 90s to early 2000s vintage. I would not trash your parts based on age alone.

I have an RV-8 of similar vintage with the white gelcoat bat wing tips. I flew my plane for two years before painting in 2013. A year a after painting a crack in the gelcoat appeared on the top of my right wing tip.

I've heard of others who have had similar experiences. Some recommend removal of the gelcoat before painting.

Probably more likely caused by some unknowing person leaning against your plane & pressing down with their elbow (I had this happen at OSH of all places...)
My solution is installing a rib made from 1/2" rigid pink insulation about 7" outboard & parallel to the mounting flange. Really stiffens up the tip top surface.

As for the white gel coat, I have had some fairings with the leading & trailing edges having some voids & chipping. I just sanded them down & applied some micro slurry to build them up again. A few minutes work, done.
I have the micro handy anyway as I always finish off the seam between the aluminum skin & fairing to a nice smart edge.

Gel coat

I hate gel coat. Gray is better but I've seen it chip too. I would sand it all off and apply a layer of fiberglass. A belt sander will knock that stuff off really fast. So fast you should be careful. If you really want some pop, layup a layer of carbon fiber. This plenum gel coat was sanded off and carbon fiber applied.
20220513_145852.jpg

Back