What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sirius XM

huse0054

Well Known Member
For you RV 10 flyers did you install and are you using Sirius XM? Just looking for the pros and cons and any real world experience. Worth it or not?
Thanks

I have had xmwx for over 12 years in two different aircraft. The FIS-b WX is ok but does not provide sufficient resolution for how I use my aircraft. I just started using the audio portion of the receiver this year under a free trial. I may continue this service also instead of bluetoothing my phone to my audio panel for music.

I have had xmwx for over 12 years in two different aircraft. The FIS-b WX is ok but does not provide sufficient resolution for how I use my aircraft. I just started using the audio portion of the receiver this year under a free trial. I may continue this service also instead of bluetoothing my phone to my audio panel for music.

Thanks.

The weather and the audio are on separate subscriptions?

Sirius is one of those companies that uses automatic renewal . . . beware. Never give them a credit card. Wait until it expires and you can get it for around $5/month.

...and

They also have a firelight package that will allow you to see weather on your iPad...but its $40 a month...$10 more if you want music.

They are pretty proud of their product!

Good info and didn't realize the monthly cost was so high. Decisions. Really it comes down to panel build should I add the GDL51R ($700) or not. In the future i'm assuming there are other ways to receive the satellite info for less $$ but wouldn't be integrated into the G3X.

Thoughts?

Nope. I use FIS-B (GDL 39) for in-flight weather and listen to my phone for music. I have patch cords for all 4 headsets (older Bose A-20s without bluetooth music) so everyone can listen to their own music.

Last edited:
Different opinion

While xm wx looks better (higher resolution) than adsb wx, the differences are actually small. Neither radar product is real-time, so you see what was there 10 or even 20 minutes ago. Thunderstorms can change fast, so close in penetration using old data is not recommended. Note the time stamp on the display is not the age of the data - it’s time since last upload. The slightly blocky adsb data should remind pilots that the actual current wx data is unknown. For me, the final straw was that every so often, I would need to ‘refresh’ my subscription, or get no service. Once this happened when I really wanted the data, but was not within range of cell or internet service, so I couldn’t refresh. I ditched xm, saved the $400/yr, bought a Skyradar adsb receiver (usb to my GRT Hx, wireless to iPad and WingX). I am happy with my choice.

Good info and didn't realize the monthly cost was so high. Decisions. Really it comes down to panel build should I add the GDL51R ($700) or not. In the future i'm assuming there are other ways to receive the satellite info for less $$ but wouldn't be integrated into the G3X.

Thoughts?

Matt,

It would help to understand what else you are planning for your panel. You will most definitely want ADS-B traffic, and the GDL 51R only provides SXM weather and music.

The GDL 52R is the king of traffic/weather/music receivers. It provides ADS-B traffic and weather, and also provides optional SXM weather and/or music.

If you want to provision for the future use of SXM weather and music, even if only part time like on an annual long cross country trip, the GDL 52R is a good choice.

I have the GDL 52R connected to my G3X Touch system and Aera 760. Like others, I much prefer SXM weather and like being able to pick it up on the ground before departure. I have also been on flights held down under a low cloud deck where ADS-B weather reception was poor, and SXM weather was great.

On the rare case where I might not have SXM weather available for some subscription complication, ADS-B weather is always available as a backup weather source.

AM-JKLXQgjp_TmWBDhGS976xI_FPRAPhAQaQQZ-lUQ-1G8vv58_Bo87QwNojPOJLy010z-Tet6ewa_osCTgJOgEEtcpQMOCxq4Tla7oO0EadX6OGp_bcwq49g8P1c1FXWwPexLVIU4GpOgpEh_7pdPQ4oKwO=w548

Steve

Sorry, not following... I would already have ADSB in with the GTx45R correct, so why would I need the GDL 52R? Or would it be for backup?

Side questions... what if I want to fly in Canadian airspace? What are my options.. would that be another reason for the GDL 51R or 52R?

Sorry, not following... I would already have ADSB in with the GTx45R correct, so why would I need the GDL 52R? Or would it be for backup?

Side questions... what if I want to fly in Canadian airspace? What are my options.. would that be another reason for the GDL 51R or 52R?
Matt,

No one knew you were planning a GTX 45R. That is why I asked what additional equipment you were planning.

The GTX 45R is a great ADS-B In/Out transponder, but you could also install a lower cost GTX 35R and add the GDL 52R if you wanted more capability.

As shown on the SXM website, they have good coverage in Southern Canada.

Steve

Matt,

No one knew you were planning a GTX 45R. That is why I asked what additional equipment you were planning.

The GTX 45R is a great ADS-B In/Out transponder, but you could also install a lower cost GTX 35R and add the GDL 52R if you wanted more capability.

As shown on the SXM website, they have good coverage in Southern Canada.

Steve

My apologies, I suppose that would be helpfully information. Yes, planning on a couple g3x screens, gtn650, GTX 45R. I talked to Steinair and when the time comes I am going to have them pre wire into the harness the connector kit for the GDL 51 or 52 thus if I feel I absolute need to have xm weather I can add it down the road.

My apologies, I suppose that would be helpfully information. Yes, planning on a couple g3x screens, gtn650, GTX 45R. I talked to Steinair and when the time comes I am going to have them pre wire into the harness the connector kit for the GDL 51 or 52 thus if I feel I absolute need to have xm weather I can add it down the road.

One note about that… definitely go with the GDL51 or 52. You can add XM to the GDU’s, but in doing so, you can only control XM from that GDU. The GDL, at least my understanding, will allow control from either and if one goes down, you still have functionality… although if one goes down, getting XM radio is the least of your worries

That's one way to do it. With that plan, there would be Connext RS-232 connections between the GTX 45R to each GDU 460 and the potential GDL 51R/52R to each GDU 460, taking up 2 RS-232 ports on each GDU 460.

Using a GTX 35R and a GDL 52R, there would be zero RS-232 connections between the GTX 35R and each GDU 460, and a single RS-232 connection from the GDL 52R to each GDU 460 providing traffic, 2 types of weather, and music control. This would leave more GDU 460 RS-232 ports available for other options.

Since a GTX 35R plus GDL 52R (with much more capability) costs a little less than a GTX 45R, it is something to consider for several reasons.

I should mention that a GTX 45R provides ADS-B traffic/weather to your GTN 650, and a GDL 52R does not. I don't consider this a big disadvantage because the display on the GTN 650 is too small to use for traffic/weather compared to the other much larger displays in your system.

Steve

Last edited:
That's one way to do it. With that plan, there would be Connext RS-232 connections between the GTX 45R to each GDU 460 and the potential GDL 51R/52R to each GDU 460, taking up 2 RS-232 ports on each GDU 460.

Using a GTX 35R and a GDL 52R, there would be zero RS-232 connections between the GTX 35R and each GDU 460, and a single RS-232 connection from the GDL 52R to each GDU 460 providing traffic, 2 types of weather, and music control. This would leave more GDU 460 RS-232 ports available for other options.

Since a GTX 35R plus GDL 52R (with much more capability) costs a little less than a GTX 45R, it is something to consider for several reasons.

I should mention that a GTX 45R provides ADS-B traffic/weather to your GTN 650, and a GDL 52R does not. I don't consider this a big disadvantage because the display on the GTN 650 is too small to use for traffic/weather compared to the other much larger displays in your system.

Steve

Awesome! This is the kind of information that is invaluable in making decisions. Always learning and I will put all into consideration when the time comes.
Thanks

Back