What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200 issue when transmitting

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin GTR 200 radio/intercom which has worked flawlessly for 215 hours, but now there's an issue. The intercom works just fine, but when I'm transmitting, it sounds like I'm talking into a big tin can through my headset, and also the headset of my pax. Pax tried a radio call or two from the right seat using right side ptt with same result.

The sound quality degraded very suddenly. I've done a radio check and unicom/other planes can hear me very clearly, but it sounds terrible in my own headset...very distracting.

Do you think it's just a loose connection or something? I did the obvious thing of plugging/replugging in the headset jacks a few times to no avail. The next step will be to plug/unplug the radio in its tray a few times, and check the antenna connections.

Anyone else have this problem? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Do you have a second radio that you are monitoring? I will get that on occasion if I'm monitoring on the second radio.

Check Antenna Connection

Since it only seems to be a problem when you transmit on the radio I would examine your antenna connection.

Mic gain

I had what sounds like a similar issue. Intercom sounded great but lots of distortion when transmitting with my Zulu headset but not with my in ear headset. On the Zulu headset I gave the small mic gain screw on the back of the mic about a 1/8 turn to lower the gain and things became clear. Not clear why there was no distortion on the intercom but loads on the transmit. (This was with a GTR200 radio)

Last edited:
No second radio in the plane. I'll check all connections, and look into the mic gain screw, if my headset has one.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll report back when it's fixed.

The GTR 200 is performing flawlessly once again! Must've been a plug contact with some oxidation or something. The fix was just unplugging/replugging a couple of times. What a relief!

Hi Doug, I have the same "tin-can" issue with my GTR200. Has this problem ever come back after your unplugging/replugging?

Funny I had the same issue this past weekend…I could hear ATC fine but they couldn’t hear me at all…GTR200 said I was transmitting but they never heard me….I need to troubleshoot this week when I get home

Resolved

Few weeks ago I upgraded to Bose A20’s with Garmin SL-40. Squealed/clicked when transmitting. Reduced the side tone and now all works well. Lesson learned was to tinker with the audio options before looking for more serious issues.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

Back