What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Paperwork for Prop Change?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
If one were to change their prop from a fixed pitch metal prop to a composite ground adjustable, do you need to speak to the FAA, complete alteration paperwork and log flight testing time?

Asking for a friend,
D

Prop change

I went from a metal fixed pitch to a catto 3-blade and the FSDO told me no paperwork as the prop change would not "materially" change the performance or mechanics of flight. I would think the same for you since it is set on the ground and no additional pilot workload is needed in flight and your not going to gain 30kt from this..

Your local FSDO should be able to provide you confirmation.

Read your ops limits. The actions may differ depending on the era in which they were issued. You must follow the ops limits for your specific aircraft. It may or may not require contacting the FSDO for a major change. You can get them reissued to current verbiage if desired.

If one were to change their prop from a fixed pitch metal prop to a composite ground adjustable, do you need to speak to the FAA, complete alteration paperwork and log flight testing time?

Asking for a friend,
D
If it is a "major change" you have to do the paperwork drill with the FAA. You can find plenty of info about what constitutes a major change on the internet. But, bottom line, if it substantially changes the reliability or performance of the aircraft, it is a major change you must follow the process for such. You be the judge!

Negative.......

Asking for a friend,
D

Your operating limitations should state that you must submit a new 8130-6 if changing a fixed-pitch to or from a controllable propeller. A ground adjustable prop is NOT considered "controllable". Therefore a new 8130-6 is not required.

A new phase I (5 hr. minimum) is required, but not a new 8130-6.

Last edited:
I went through the exact same thing with my RV4 - changed from a fixed pitch Sensenich metal prop to the carbon fiber GA Sensenich prop. I contacted my local FSDO and asked them if this was a major change. On the surface, the answer was no, but since it involved a 20 pound lighter prop on the nose, and a change in CG, maybe it was. He didn’t know for sure, but suggested that an insurance company may see it differently. He authorized a 5 hour phase 1, and emailed me the authorization that day. The whole process took a few minutes and I was on my way. I needed to flight test anyway to determine my desired pitch setting. I did re-weigh the airplane after the installation and it resulted in a little less than a 1/2” move of my empty CG. I really didn’t notice the difference in CG, but the prop definitely performed better.

Every FAA inspector I've spoken with, right up to AIR 1 (the head of airworthiness) consider any propeller change except direct replacement of the same make and model to be a "major change". This is due to possible performance, reliability, and weight/balance differences. Thus, any propeller change that involves a different make/model of propeller should be approved through the "major change" procedure called out in YOUR specific aircraft's operating limitations.

Operating limitations, including the major change provisions, have changed a lot over the course of years. So there is not one all-encompassing procedure that I can outline. For example, operating limitations issued many years ago stated that a major change invalidated the airworthiness certificate and a new certificate must be applied for. Fortunately, these operating limitations were superseded long before most RVs were built. But many may require contact with the FSDO before performing the major change, while others don't require contact with the FSDO at all. Some require a new 8130-6 when going to or from fixed to adjustable props, and others do not. It all depends on when your operating limitations were issued.

It's VERY important that you read YOUR operating limitations and follow the major change provision therein. If you don't like the major change procedure that was issued to your aircraft (or any other verbiage in the operating limitations) you can apply to have the current version issued. However, most owners just live with what they have.

My FSDO and DAR said - A ground adjustable prop is NOT considered "controllable". Therefore a new 8130-6 is not required.
A new phase I (5 hr. minimum) is required, but not a new 8130-6.
I went from a Catto to a Whirl Wind GA 200L - did the 5 hrs of testing in phase, which was definitely a worthwhile experience fine tuning the prop.

Back