What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise in the headset

backcountry

Well Known Member
I have a 2017 RV-12 all Garmin and the Garmin 200 com
I can’t use noise canceling headsets and I’ve tried several kinds because they pickup noise to the degree nothing else can be heard. On the ground the problem isn’t as bad.
I have to use normal headsets that don’t use noise canceling and they work fine.
I’ve flown nearly 60 years ATP, A&P etc. I consulted with many sources and even Garmin and I have not found a solution and no one seems to have come across anything like it.

Headset noise

Similarly, I use the built in intercom on my SL-40 with DC passive headsets. All works well, however I recently tried out a set of Lightspeed Zulu in hopes of reducing noise level. Was disappointed that these ENC headsets didn’t appreciably reduce headset noise. I was expecting significant noise reduction but that wasn’t the case. Am I missing something?

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

I’ve flown nearly 60 years ATP, A&P etc. I consulted with many sources and even Garmin and I have not found a solution and no one seems to have come across anything like it.

Question... Do you wear hearing aids in conjunction with headset?

Similarly, I use the built in intercom on my SL-40 with DC passive headsets. All works well, however I recently tried out a set of Lightspeed Zulu in hopes of reducing noise level. Was disappointed that these ENC headsets didn’t appreciably reduce headset noise. I was expecting significant noise reduction but that wasn’t the case. Am I missing something?

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

It's always a battle between noise reduction and weight. The "classic" DC passive headsets do a good job of noise reduction. But on a long flight they hurt. It's their weight. I've used both, and I'd say my $900 Light speeds are a little better, and my $600 light speeds about the same, as the DC (-40 iirc). But the DC is much heavier, and on a long flight it makes a difference in comfort.

As to the OP's issue, this is perplexing. Aside from the obvious (fresh batteries, green light comes on when turned on, etc), the only thing I can even think of is, do they pick up Blue Tooth signals, and are they getting one that is full of noise? Or do you wear a hearing aid (I think some of them have weird interactions with active headsets)?
Edit: I see someone else asked about hearing aids already.

More information please...

Larry,

Can you further characterize the noise that you hear? Is it a crackle, a hum/whine/buzz? Does it rise & fall with RPM? How about with other electrical loads in the aircraft -- strobes, nav, ldg light, fuel pumps, etc?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I fly with other RV-12’s and no problem I might be the only one with this problem.

Are you saying you use the same noise-canceling headsets in other aircraft, and they work okay? Just not in your airplane? This points to RF being picked up on the audio line to your headset, and interacting badly with the noise canceling electronics.

Headset

Well, IF you truly suspect the headset I will never miss, on purpose, the opportunity to get you to try the CQ1 headsets. I have used them all and there is always initial push back on "in the ear" sets. It has been my experience that if you take the extra 30 seconds to ensure they are seated comfortably they are by far the best. Now keep in mind I am only a sample of one as a good friend likes to remind me of often. I guess technically (sample of 2 since I own 2 of them). If you are open minded and have never really flown with an in the ear set I would encourage you to give the CQ1 headset a try. They are a VAF advertiser as well. The owners are super helpful once you have them in hand if you have any issues...at all. Hopes this gives you another way to attack your noise issue.
You can find them here on VAF or CQheadset.com

It’s like a loud hum and can get softer when you pull back power. When you’re on the ground it’s not to bad.
This happens only with noise canceling headsets and These headsets work in other aircraft.

I’m considering in the ear solution. My son thinks this might work because it doesn’t use the noise canceling electronics. He flys long on his job.

Some of the things I did in the following order.
1. Checked all grounding that could be found.
2. Run a separate ground buss for all the systems back to the battery.
3. Run a new audio wiring and new jacks at the panel and no longer back on the seat.

Just a long shot, but if you haven’t yet, maybe disconnect and reconnecting the radio from its connector to see if there might be a high-impedance contact in the connector? The wiping action of disconnecting and reconnecting may clear any oxidation.

Do you happen to have another headset plugged in and if so put your intercom in the isolate mode and see if the noise goes away. If it does it is probably the second sets mic picking up the cabin noise.

Had similar issues. Turns out it was right after I switched to Lithium batteries in my A20's. Switched back to normal batteries and the interference/noise stopped.

CQ1 Headset in the ear

Well, for long hauls they are very comfortable. And I am not sure there is real hard data on the noise level but the CQ1 sure is nice, like I said once you take the time to put the ear pieces in. I replace the tips quite often just because it so easy to do and very inexpensive. Much cheaper than batteries these days :)
I would sure get one and try it! But please don't just try it once... at least a couple of times as like anything, change is hard but I do believe once you fly with it you will be like WOW this is so comfortable. I hope you get your noise problem fixed as that is such a pain and takes so much away from the flying! And new/intermittent stuff drives you crazy! Good Luck!

Have you tried powering the noise cancelling headsets with an independent
battery that is not connected to the aircraft electrical system?

Just a long shot, but if you haven’t yet, maybe disconnect and reconnecting the radio from its connector to see if there might be a high-impedance contact in the connector? The wiping action of disconnecting and reconnecting may clear any oxidation.

I’ve swapped my radio with other aircraft radios. My radio works good in other peoples airplanes and their radios works bad in my airplane.

Some of the things I did in the following order.
1. Checked all grounding that could be found.
2. Run a separate ground buss for all the systems back to the battery.
3. Run a new audio wiring and new jacks at the panel and no longer back on the seat.
These are good things to check. A few more to consider.

1. Is the ANR headset set to stereo mode? Most ANR headsets come from the factory set to mono mode. A stereo headset set to mono mode and plugged into a stereo headset jack will often sound pretty bad, especially when transmitting.

Not sure what headset you have, but I have all the DIP switches in the OFF position on my Zulu ANR headset, and it works perfectly with GTR 200, GMA 240, and GMA 245.

ZuluSettings.png
  2. Are the new panel mounted headphone jacks you mention installed with insulating shoulder washers?
  3. When you unplug the copilot headset does the problem go away? Leave the copilot headset unplugged for the remaining tests.
  4. When you change the intercom volume on GTR 200, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  5. When you change the radio volume on the GTR 200, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  6. When you turn the AUX1/AUX2 audio input volumes (alert audio) all the way down to 0, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  7. When you turn the music input volume all the way down to 0, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  8. The Mic Gain is probably set to the default of 5. When you change it to 0, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  9. Have you tried turning down the Mic Gain on your headset to see if that changes the volume of the noise you are hearing?
  10. When you turn off the GTR 200, does the noise go away?
  11. When your turn off the ANR feature of your headset, does the noise go away?
  12. When you unplug the pilot mic plug, does the noise go away?
  13. When you unplug the pilot headphone plug, does the noise go away.
Thanks,
Steve

Head Set Background Noise

I switched to a Garmin GTR200 from an SL40 in my RV-4 and am having similar issues. It seems when I got rid of my stand alone intercom and switched to the Garmin’s internal one that it doesn’t want to play nice with my other com or ENC headsets. I have and old set of Sennheiser ENC headsets with the noise canceling ability seemingly being diminished with this set up. I’ve tried the A-20’s and there the worst acting like they accentuate the background noise instead of canceling it to the point that the background noise overrides the communications. I’ve tried other ENC headsets without any better results and yet passive noise canceling headsets work just fine. I’m considering rewiring the panel and going back to an external intercom just to prove I’m not crazy !

I had noise for ages and I think someone on here suggested that I check any mixed audio, and I found that the audio in mix was set to full i turned that off and it fixed my noise.

It’s like a loud hum and can get softer when you pull back power. When you’re on the ground it’s not to bad.
This happens only with noise canceling headsets and These headsets work in other aircraft.

Does it change with different engine RPM?
And, by chance are you using an electronic ignition and auto plugs?

He has RV-12 with Rotax engine. CDI ignitions and NGK plugs are standard.

Heh, should have known that from the model specific thread. I had a problem on my -7a with CDI on one mag. I got slowly increasing ignition noise in my headset and finally traced it back to the plugs/boots. Carefully cleaning the insulators and inside of the boots, then putting dielectric grease on the insulators fixed it for good. Don't know if that's what you're running into but if the noise is RPM dependent it might be worth a look.

MeToo

very useful this thread: flight #7 fulfilled successfully: what a marvelous ship this is!!!, but radio noise keeps bragging me. 912ULS, MGL Avionics and radio, BoseA20.
I do try changing the headset though (as well as the other tips), as soon I get to the shop.

Well, for long hauls they are very comfortable. And I am not sure there is real hard data on the noise level but the CQ1 sure is nice, like I said once you take the time to put the ear pieces in. I replace the tips quite often just because it so easy to do and very inexpensive. Much cheaper than batteries these days :)
I would sure get one and try it! But please don't just try it once... at least a couple of times as like anything, change is hard but I do believe once you fly with it you will be like WOW this is so comfortable. I hope you get your noise problem fixed as that is such a pain and takes so much away from the flying! And new/intermittent stuff drives you crazy! Good Luck!

I tried my sons Clarity Aloft in the ear headset and it works great.
By the way where did you get your CQ1 headset?

Garmin is the problem

I worked on this problem from the beginning 2017. Garmin repeatedly telling me it wouldn’t be the radio. Anything you can come up with I tried many times. Completely separated and created a new com radio wire bundle.
Nothing worked.
Finally another RV12 owner came and took my Garmin 200 com and put it in his plane. The problem went with the radio.
Needless to say I’m very upset with Garmin. They finally agreed they needed to do something with the radio. I’ve asked them to do this all these years.
They sent me a different radio that for the first time now works. They charged me $400 dollars to exchange radios because the radio is now out of warranty. I even have email documentation showing from the beginning 2017 trying to get the noise fixed.
I’ve talked with many avionics shops and they claim Garmin isn’t same Garmin of yesteryear and difficult to work with. I now know what their talking about. Certainly sad.
This reminds me in the beginning the autopilot servos wouldn’t work and I called Garmin and they gave me all kinds of things to try but the servo shouldn’t be a problem. I worked hours and hours on this and nothing helped. I finally found out through another source that the Garmin supplier had shipped defective servos and all the customers were getting bad servos. I had done all that work for nothing. Finally installed 3 different sets of servos before I got a set that worked.
I’ve seen friends of mine with Dynon equipment great service. When they called they got equipment shipped at once verifying whether or not equipment was a problem.
Years old I also had problems with Garmin equipment but they didn’t send me on wild goose chases. I was a Garmin customer from their beginning and it looks I’ve never yet called them on a problem that didn’t wind up being a problem with their equipment.

washers

"Sounds suspiciously like a ground loop.

Do you have "standard" 1/4" & 3/16" phone & mic plugs or are you using LEMO style?

If the former, do you have these installed on your Mic/Phone jacks? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=24641 (you need both...)"

I'm not able to check the manual right now, but could someone please tell me whether these isolating washers are in the manual? In that case I should've installed them.
In the other case I'd like to know what makes VAN's not to supply us with these buggers....

"Sounds suspiciously like a ground loop.

Do you have "standard" 1/4" & 3/16" phone & mic plugs or are you using LEMO style?

If the former, do you have these installed on your Mic/Phone jacks? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=24641 (you need both...)"

I'm not able to check the manual right now, but could someone please tell me whether these isolating washers are in the manual? In that case I should've installed them.
In the other case I'd like to know what makes VAN's not to supply us with these buggers....

The washers are in the manual and should have been supplied with the avionics kit.

Friend has had a screeching intermittent sound on Transmit, from the Garmin GTR-200 for the past 3 years. We've gone through the grounds, the antenna ground, the coax cable, the TX switches in the grip, everything, and it was still there.

Finally, I decided to pull the GTR-200 out and spray the connector with CRC electrical contact cleaner and reinstall. We've confirmed today, that the problem is solved. TX and RX are now clean and intelligible. Towers and traffic are now happy with the radio signal.

Make sure you turn the fastener the full 90 degrees, with that tiny hex key, and that it's tight and vibration free in there.

Last edited:
Had similar RF noise on a Rotax Powered Rans S7 my wife used to have. I went to O'riley's auto parts and they special ordered 10 NGK resistor sparkplug boots (exactly the same as the boots on the Rotax) about $60 including a special order fee.

I removed the existing boots ( they unscrew oof of the wire) cut off 1/4" on each wire and installed the new boots. The RF noise was gone!

Looking at the boots that I removed; a few appeared to have burned contacts where they slide over the the post on the plug. I think that was making the RF noise in her system.

I bought qty (8) of these on eBay in 2019 for $50. They are hard phenolic plastic and not the original soft rubber.

NGK - Spark Plug Resistor Cover - 90deg. Elbow Type (LB05F) 8051

Back