What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning intake manifold

maus92

Well Known Member
I decided to remove the intake tubes during this condition inspection, mainly because the rubber adapters were looking weird. Turns out that they were hard and their braiding was beginning to fray - and the flange gaskets were in poor shape (it appears that one of the former owners used a liquid gasket on one of the tubes.) This gave me the opportunity (excuse?) to buy SDS's intake tube gaskets with the sexy anodized flanges.

The interior of the tubes were coated with a stubborn, gunky fuel residue which I'm removing with a solvent and a brush. I'm using alcohol as the solvent, but it's not the fastest procedure. Another tube is being soaked in a Pinesol solution to see if that works better - I'll find out later today. If that doesn't work, I'll just use gas.

Anyway, the intake manifold looks to have a similar residue. I know that I'll never get all of it off without removing the manifold, but is it OK to use carb cleaner in the intake manifold?

Thanks!

Lots of carb builders use Pinesol to clean carbs. Did well on the intake tube, better than the alcohol. Still needed to be brushed out.

Last edited:
Back