What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Run-In?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the experimental Lycoming engines from Van's are ran-in any at the factory? And if so, how long?

Also, are they dynamic balanced?

Thanks for your input.

Does anyone know if the experimental Lycoming engines from Van's are ran-in any at the factory? And if so, how long?

Thanks for your input.
I am fairly sure they are and for about 1.5 hour. My last engine was ran and I was told the new one that is on order will run as well.

Yes, my engine came with a data sheet from the test cell. IIRC, it was run for about 1.5 hours as well. Don't know about the balancing.

I felt like I needed a good 20 hours for full-break-in in Phase 1. Run it hard; lots of cylinder pressure makes for good ring sealing.

Pretty sure both standard EXP and Thunderbolt get 1.5 to 3.0 hours, with a printout.

Thunderbolt engines get pistons, pins, and connecting rods matched within 0.5 grams. EXP and Thunderbolt get the same crank, straight from production. You may consider the crank dynamically balanced as part of the standard production process, but they don't discuss specifics.

Run in

Yep, about 1.5 hours of run in per the data sheet. Data sheet shows rpm setting/time with CHT?s and other parameters along with acceptable ranges.
Jim Diehl 7A 0-360 A1A

Back