What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel tire change

rwarre

Well Known Member
Since I live in a small town and am friends with just about everyone, I decided to use my tire guy's suggestion to let him break the bead on my nosewheel tire. I frequently buy my car tires from him and he is always asking about my plane and where I go flying. He has suggested that he could help me whenever. I took the nosewheel in and within about 5 minutes, the bead on the tire was loose and dismantling was no problem. How much did this cost? $0.00. Nice to live in this type of community.

Nice. It?s all about relationships. It took more time to take the tire to him and have him break the bead than just doing it yourself, but now he has a vested interest. I do the same sort of thing...then I?ll say ?hey you wouldn?t want to go for a ride would you?? Never know, you might have just introduced someone else to the world of aviation and forever changed their life.

Unless you fly everywhere, making friends with a tire guy is a good thing. There is a huge markup on tires. Trade a ride for a good deal. Everyone wins and maybe get a new person into flying.

There is a spare tube for you in Twin City

A week or so ago I stopped at Loris, SC 5J9 to stamp Aviation Ambassador passport. Got nose wheel flat on landing but managed to exit the runway with enough power and back pressure. I usually carry spare tubes on long hauls but this time I only had a main.

Here comes Sam, a local A&P and an aircraft shop owner. Got a problem? Not much regular stuff just a flat... but can use a hand. We quickly tied the tail down, removed the wheelie and figured out the tube was not salvageable. A tractor supply house was within walking distance from the field but Sam volunteered to drive.

The counter lady gave me a good discount on last 4 tubes. I was on the roll again in 1.5 hours Sam didn't accept any compensation for his time. I left a tube in his shop in case any RVator will drop by and need it. Flew to Conway to say hi to Henry, Sam's old boss. There are good people everywhere, ready to help. Go fly check it out... :)

Sam%20-%201.jpg

Nose Tube

Vlad,
Your nose flat has encouraged me to head out to Tractor Supply and pick up a spare nose tube ( I do have spare main tubes).
Any difference in quality from the aviation sources?
Tire stem compatible with Matco rim?

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

Back