What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion Spark Plugs

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
A data point. At 350 hours eight of twelve Champion REM38E plugs failed center electrode resistance check (all were over 14K ohms). I replaced all twelve with Tempest plugs. Out of the box the Tempest plugs checked between 1.4K and 1.5K.

Carl

Champion REM 38E

Another data point. At 260 hrs, resistance was everywhere from 1000 to 12000. More than half of the plugs were greater than 5000. Replaced with Tempest, all showing 1300 at installation.
No comments necessary concerning my thoughts on Champion!

Jim Diehl 0-360, 7A
Lock Haven, PA

Champion says their plugs cannot be tested with an ohm meter. I did the same thing on another plane. Half the plugs were out of range in 300 hours. Replaced all with Tempest and Tempest has my business from now on. If Champion isn't not going to make plugs that can be tested with an ohm meter, I will not run them. If the resistance is higher than spec, primary voltage to the coil goes high and the points in the magneto are burned. Who the heck makes these decisions? Pretty dumb to think they would't lose there butts on this one! Just about everyone I know is chucking the Champions. Aircraft Spruce has a tester for $1700.

Last edited:
Champion = junk I discovered this the hard way 35 years ago as a kid with a new-to-me Honda Accord hatchback. It ran like **** when I bought it. I installed the NGK plugs recommended by the local dealer and it ran like a top. I've turfed Champion plugs in everything from cars to lawnmowers to airplanes. Champion remains a great American brand trading on the glory of their achievements of nearly a century ago, rather than a company that lives up to its advertising and brand standard by manufacturing products worthy of the name. Champion is just a name any more, not a quality or performance standard.

Tempest it is, until I get to the point of having two P-Mags, then it will be NGK.

Back