What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Printed Ignition Wire Guides

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Our 3D printer is a Wanhao Duplicator 6 purchased at a 3D printer store north of Tampa. After the magnetic oil door latch, I turned my attention to other 3D printable parts. As Experimental Aircraft Association members we have access to no-charge personal use copies of SolidWorks Design Software.

WireGuide01.JPG

The upper ignition wires for our Lycoming engine pass through aluminum sheet metal baffles and must be protected from chafing. A well known aviation supply store sells nylon plastic wire protectors for $21.95 each, and one set is needed for each side of the engine. Having time to spare before returning to Michigan I designed and printed these.

WireGuide02.JPG

WireGuide03.JPG

The two halves are identical and interlock around the ignition wires. They install on a one inch diameter hole in the rear baffle plate.

The wire guides are made with ABS plastic that has a glass transition temperature (softening point) higher than nylon.

WireGuide04.JPG

It's a few cents of plastic. Don't ask me how much the printer cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not for sure but the slick spark plug wire guides may be made of ultem material that has a glass transition temp = 217C.

Very nice

Those look great! I guess you work with that kind of software a lot, and I'm curious how long did it take you to design these or something similar?

Steve - You may be correct about the Ultem. With the ABS having a transition temp of 221F I intend to watch these guides closely. They may be OK on the outside of the baffles. If not, I'll try a glass filled printing filament next.

Mickey - No I'm just an amateur hobbyist. It did however take a number of tweaks to work the design so as to have the two identical halves nicely click together while the wire holes fit snug and the guide closely fit a 1" hole in the baffle.

Back