What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview blanking in flight

gf30269

One of my two 10-inch Dynon Skyview displays has blanked out in flight a couple of times. When I touched the screen it felt very warm, warmer than the one running (I have two). The screen is an early model, over 10 years old. I'm wondering if maybe its an overheating issue due to cooling fan failure. After I landed and shut everything down I restarted my avionics and the screen came back up. Two questions:
1. Anyone have similar trouble?
2. Is the fan easily replaceable?

Thanks,
George Fox

I have had a Dynon D10A blank on me a few times in my old Cherokee. I would sometimes get a warning that it was too hot (always happened on hot days). Haven't had my HDX screens go dark, but I did put two defrost/cooling fans in my glareshield for this reason. Obviously the two components are different but it's a data point for you...

One of my two 10-inch Dynon Skyview displays has blanked out in flight a couple of times. When I touched the screen it felt very warm, warmer than the one running (I have two). The screen is an early model, over 10 years old. I'm wondering if maybe its an overheating issue due to cooling fan failure. After I landed and shut everything down I restarted my avionics and the screen came back up. Two questions:
1. Anyone have similar trouble?
2. Is the fan easily replaceable?

Thanks,
George Fox

I have two HDX displays in an RV-7A that have both started to sound like they need lubrication when the fans come on if I power up with the canopy open. The noise settles down after a few minutes but the fan startup noise is getting worse so I think the time to replace the HDX fans is getting close. The displays are about 3 years old and have about 180 operating hours on the clock. Time for a discussion with Dynon support. Will report back.

KT

Message from Dynon

Got this quick response from Dynon:

There is no way to test the fans but there is a way to see if they are working.

Please press down and hold buttons 7+8 to enter the SETUP MENU.

Scroll to LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP

Select DISPLAY HARDWARE INFORMATION and turn either know to scroll down to the bottom of that page.

You will see CPU TEMP: The fans will not engage until that temperature reaches 52 degC

My original 10" Skyview Classic did this on one flight and then rebooted. I think that episode involved a known bug that was later fixed in a software update. Several years later the same unit started to have a "pink screen of death" on startup. Sometimes the display just wouldn't work until repeated attempts (and unplugging the back up battery to get it to turn off). You could hear the unit audio prompts on startup and other things as you would turn the knobs). It was up and running, but no display. I sent it back for repair and within a month it was happening again. Dynon sent me a replacement unit which has been working just fine. After this, I added a second screen on my panel just as insurance for being able to fly if a screen goes out.

Back