What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on Skybolt fastener kits for RV-9

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a question on the difference between two of the Skybolt cowl fastening products for the Van's RV-9.

Specifically, I want to install Skybolt 1/4 turn fasteners all the way around the firewall, and plan to use the Van's Piano hinges along the horizontal split line of the cowl.

I'm confused between two of the Skybolt kits. The "complete firewall" kit has 4 less fasteners than the "Upper (FW/Side)" kit. The two kits have the same type hardware.

Which kit do I need, to get all the way around the firewall, including the curved top, both sides and under the lower cowl? I don't understand why the one labeled "Complete Firewall" has less fasteners than the other....

Ref: RV679J-C1P-F = "Complete Firewall Kit" 32 fasteners
RV679J-C1P-U = "Upper (FW/Side) Kit 36 Fasteners

Skybolt

My recommendation is buy whichever kit has more and the two tools included. Do a littlr math based on standard 3-1/2" spacing to determine how many extra you need. Buy a second kit with more than enough to complete the install. A kit of 20 is cheaper than piece meal.
This kit has 52. You will use about 50 on the firewall and splits.
RV679J-C1P
You also need the two tools. They used to include them in the kits.
SK-4P3, and SK-T26
I wrote a three part article on cowl installation. Kitplanes. Part 1 is published. Part 2 is due next month. Part 3 covers Skybolts.

Last edited:
Get extra

I would order whatever kit had a few more. You will probably need extra. I used a few more than the kit called for. Mine is a James cowl but should be basically the same.

What airport are you at? If we ever get some good weather I could fly on down and you can see mine.

Back