What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS EFIS questions

ge9a

Well Known Member
I have two questions related to an AFS EFIS.

First, the altitude encoder for my GTX327 transponder comes from Serial Port #2 on my AF-3000 series EFIS (yes, it’s an older one). I know it works (at least the data is getting to the transponder) because it follows my altitude. But it is consistently reading about 200’ low. How can I fix this? Serial Port #2 output (from the EFIS) is configured as ICARUS altitude format, per my manual.

Second question (same EFIS), what is missing on not configured correctly or not configured at all, that is preventing the wind and XW display from working – no numbers, just blank registers shown on the EFIS screen. I am unclear on where this data needs to come from, although I have ideas. But if their correct, the wind and XW should be working.

Can someone point me in the right direction on one or both of my questions?

Thanks!

I was registered on their forum years ago, but apparently I can't remember my password. Now I can't even get by their 'random question' requirement to retrieve or change my User Name/Password. How did I ever manage to build a flyable airplane if I can't even get past their 'random question' to access their forum??

I’m assuming the 3000 series are the same as the newer models. You can adjust the altitude setting. I don’t recall the amount of adjustment you can make. I know I had to make a very minor adjustment to one of my previous AF-5500s.

I don’t recall the procedure, but it’s in the manual. Its best just to give AFS Support a call.

I would caution just making a change. I made my change as part of an IFR certification. Having the ability to read the pressure altitude out of the transponder and the pitot/static systems on the test gear, allowed me to make adjustments to bring everything into compliance.

My assumption on the wind issue may also be an issue with your gps. Too many variables to guess at a root cause. Another reason to pick up the phone and call AFS.

Last edited:
Back