What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX45R - G3x issues

fwlarsen

I'm New Here
New to me RV-7.
Has a G3x system (dual) and a GTX-45R ADSB in/out. RUn through a VPX sport circuit breaker system.

Last weekend flying, sometimes people in the pattern would comment that they couldn't see us. Once the tower said the same. Seemed to resolve with resetting the transponder itself through the G3x.
But we could track the whole flight on flightaware and I could see my partner's flying on foreflight live traffic.

Today when we got in the plan, a new issue popped up.

We got the fault message on G3X :
"Transponder hardware fault"

Did change the battery out this morning. Resetting it didn't help.
Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Last edited:
New to me RV-7.
Has a G3x system (dual) and a GTX-45R ADSB in/out. RUn through a VPX sport circuit breaker system.

Last weekend flying, sometimes people in the pattern would comment that they couldn't see us. Once the tower said the same. Seemed to resolve with resetting the transponder itself through the G3x.
But we could track the whole flight on flightaware and I could see my partner's flying on foreflight live traffic.

Today when we got in the plan, a new issue popped up.

We got the fault message on G3X :
"Transponder hardware fault"

Did change the battery out this morning. Resetting it didn't help.
Any suggestions? Thoughts?

This won’t solve your problem, but I would like to note that flight aware ads-b may show you even when your transponder / ADS-B is not functioning within specifications.
You would need to do an ads-b public report at this link to determine any faults.
The faults will probably help you to trouble shoot.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Did you perform the recent G3X firmware update? 9.12, 9.13 or 9.14? If so, there is a new field in your configuration settings under the transponder tab.

I, too, have the issue of ADS-B out data not transmitting correctly and have been told this new setting is the issue. I have made the recommended change but have not had flying weather yet to test the results. My 45 days are counting down from my FAA warning letter...

Thanks.
I did run that report. It does showe a probable component / software compatibility problem or improper system config.

Ugh.

Did you perform the recent G3X firmware update? 9.12, 9.13 or 9.14? If so, there is a new field in your configuration settings under the transponder tab.

I, too, have the issue of ADS-B out data not transmitting correctly and have been told this new setting is the issue. I have made the recommended change but have not had flying weather yet to test the results. My 45 days are counting down from my FAA warning letter...

I'll check. It's a unit that is less than a year old. I don't konw when it was last updated.
Literally my first flight was Saturday.
thanks! and good luck!

Back