What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX in-flight re-boot (3 times) - "system event 3"

ReedC

Well Known Member
My confidence in Dynon was shaken yesterday. Straight and level, in VMC, my single HDX display suddenly went black.

It came back a minute later with "system event 3" message - then immediately went black again.

Came back a second time - lasted for about 5 minutes, then went black again.

Came back a 3rd time and functioned normally to landing 15 minutes later.

I have uploaded the diagnostic files to Dynon.

People on the Dynon forum say this happens and is sometimes related to USB devices.

I had the Dynon wifi adapter and the Dynon USB drive plugged in at the time.

serial number is greater than 35,000 and I am running the new 16.4 software that with the wifi bug resolved.

This dynon setup has about 5 hours since new.

I think Dynon maybe having low level USB driver issues with their new hardware (driven by EE component shortage):
1. Service bulletin May 6, 2022 - https://dynonavionics.com/bulletins/support_bulletin_050622.php
2. Other very recent system event 3 - on dynon forums https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/system-3-event.14632/#post-85227
3. Removal of the USB port on the D37 connector on the new displays (SN 35,000 and above?) because "it caused more problems than it was worth"

Has this happened to anyone else? for, me this the first time in 4 years of flying behind Dynon. I do fly occasional light IMC - which I am now re-thinking.

I hope Dynon can give me a solid response and resolution.

Reed

Attachments

• reboot_volts_amps.PNG
    reboot_volts_amps.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I am glad you were in VMC and safe, it would have scared the $h1t out of me if in IMC. Sadly, I have read more reports from Dynon flyers than any other EIFS vendor to have an inflight outage.

I am glad you were in VMC and safe, it would have scared the $h1t out of me if in IMC. Sadly, I have read more reports from Dynon flyers than any other EIFS vendor to have an inflight outage.

This happened to me with the G3X. Was IMC, but between layers when it happened, thank goodness. It reverted to the MFD and had a G5 for backup, but can happen to Garmin too. Data logs were no help to garmin to figure out the reason. So far an isolated one off.

This happened to me with the G3X. Was IMC, but between layers when it happened, thank goodness. It reverted to the MFD and had a G5 for backup, but can happen to Garmin too. Data logs were no help to garmin to figure out the reason. So far an isolated one off.

Glad you were safe and rather uneventful.
Was your A/P engaged and if so, did the A/P get disconnected? How long was the PFD down and when it came back up, was it much delay to assume the role of PFD or the MFD kept that role till the next complete reboot?

This is why I have always believed in “dis-similar redundancy” for essential functions - like attitude, airspeed, and altitude display. You can do this with a backup from a different brand, or from the same brand if the coding and hardware are completely different.

In the bad old days, if the vacuum pump went out, you still had needle/ball/airspeed from (most likely) a different supplier…… ;)

keeping the TruTrak

This was one of the reasons I considered keep the TruTrak autopilot system during the panel upgrade to HDX- if the Dynon died in IMC, I could turn on the autopilot to keep the airplane level.

In the end the superior integration of the Dynon autopilot system won out - losing that second dissimilar system.

This is precisely the reason I have dual screens, in case one takes a dump in flight, and I have a G5 backup for bad software that might take out both screens.

My IFR checkride included hand-flying an ILS under the hood to minimums with my primary left hand screen shut down and dark, flying the approach with my head cocked 30 degrees looking at the right hand screen. THAT was interesting...

Glad you were safe and rather uneventful.
Was your A/P engaged and if so, did the A/P get disconnected? How long was the PFD down and when it came back up, was it much delay to assume the role of PFD or the MFD kept that role till the next complete reboot?

Yes,the AP disengaged. I should have tested to see if the AP would work while in REV mode but was a bit distracted from the mild panic (was about to enter a cloud). The PFD immediately began to reboot after it shut down and it seemed to be about the normal amount of time for it to come back up, but the cal phase took longer than it does on the ground. The switch out of REV mode was pretty quick once the CAL finished.

I did call Garmin to get some insight. They provided none other than to empty the SD card of log data. It had a lot, as I had never deleted anything, so hoping it was that vs signs of a failing unit.

Last edited:
This is precisely the reason I have dual screens, in case one takes a dump in flight, and I have a G5 backup for bad software that might take out both screens.

My IFR checkride included hand-flying an ILS under the hood to minimums with my primary left hand screen shut down and dark, flying the approach with my head cocked 30 degrees looking at the right hand screen. THAT was interesting...

I did mine on the 6 with only one GRT screen and a Mini. Flew an LNAV with the main dark and on the Mini. I was glad that the mini couldn't do an ILS in this case :D

Yes,the AP disengaged. I should have tested to see if the AP would work while in REV mode but was a bit distracted from the mild panic (was about to enter a cloud). The PFD immediately began to reboot after it shut down and it seemed to be about the normal amount of time for it to come back up, but the cal phase took longer than it does on the ground. The switch out of REV mode was pretty quick once the CAL finished.

I did call Garmin to get some insight. They provided none other than to empty the SD card of log data. It had a lot, as I had never deleted anything, so hoping it was that vs signs of a failing unit.

Thanks for the additional info. I would have expected the AP to disconnect but wondering if it would be reengage.

My 7 which was completed in 2008 and at that time EIFS weren't as popular or as tested, had GRT (two units) and a full steam gauge with the attitude indicator being electric for a full redundancy. Luckily, I have not experienced any system outage in IMC or VMC but I think I am going to simulate some of those failures modes as soon as the weather permits.

I went through a rash of in-flight reboots on my D1000 starting with installation of the 16.0.2 software. The record was 30 reboots during a 0.4 hour flight trying to find the cause. It did not matter if a USB or WiFi was in use. The unit has had two trips back to Dynon for System 3 and System 5 events. At one time the problem was the solid-state drive chip failures. Unfortunately, the RMA resolution only states the unit was repaired. I also ended up rewiring six SV-NET cables with shielded wiring.

I did install a Stratux with GPS, AHRS, and ADS-B as a backup that works with my iPAD and Foreflight mainly to get some AHRS information. A Garmin G5 would be nice if I could figure out where to put it.

If you are looking for the good side, after so many in-flight reboots I no longer have a startle response to a D1000 going black. Other than the transponder, everything the D1000 does now has a backup. I have only had one in-flight reboot with the 16.4 software using the WiFi dongle and an external USB drive all the time.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Back