What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Defective spar - does Vans inspect

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
While working on the mid fuselage I noticed what appears to be pits in the spar bar carry through, due to the extrusion process.

Here's a couple of pictures.

I assume that the spars get inspected and that Vans wouldn't ship me a spar that was unacceptable.

Is that true?

Attachments

• IMG_7993.jpg
    IMG_7993.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_7994.jpg
    IMG_7994.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 393
I have similar marks in one of my RV8 spars. Including what looks like a drill bit wandered across the surface of the doubler. Email in with Van's Support to see what needs to be done.

Attachments

• 20221130_160003.jpg
    20221130_160003.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 340
Wait until you start to really work on the wing and to find out how many extra marks you will put on it. Unless you have built a few metal airplanes, you will make mistakes too.

And when you insert and remove the wings from the fuselage, compare the gouge marks you find at the highest stress point of the spar, all from your find workmanship. These types of concerns have kept some builders staying awake and to throw up the towel from their impossible level of perceived perfection. Not all airplane will have the Gold Lindy quality and even then, these Lindys have mistakes.

Really, this is the topic you should contact Vans tech support. Not every part of the wing will carry the highest amount of loads, and have the lowest amount of margin of safety. There are manufacturing tolerances and only Vans engineering will have these answers for your.

Last edited:
Vans tech support determined that the defect in my center section spar should have been blended at the factory. And they can't say whether after blending that the spar will be adequate.

So they are swapping out the center section and any parts I've already installed to the center section.

Thanks Vans for the great customer service.

Too bad that I did not look closer at the spar center section before installing parts. It would have saved me some time and work.

Michael-

Back