What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Discovery ADSB receiver

D Weisgerber

Well Known Member
I'm considering getting a GRT Discovery ADSB receiver to connect to my GRT Horizon 10.1. I currently have an Open Flight Solutions ADSB receiver that I'm having problems with.
I was wondering if anybody is using this receiver yet and how well it works?

I'm considering getting a GRT Discovery ADSB receiver to connect to my GRT Horizon 10.1. I currently have an Open Flight Solutions ADSB receiver that I'm having problems with.
I was wondering if anybody is using this receiver yet and how well it works?

I'm also considering this. Interested in Pirep.

Looooong wait!

I ordered one on February 7th. I was told 7 weeks at the time. Still waiting... On the plus side, GRT does not take any money until it ships. It looks really promising at the right price.

Cheers, Sean

It's here

I got my long overdue receiver today. So, giving some leeway for shipping internationally, figure on 16 weeks delivery. Looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers, Sean

I'm glad you got your receiver, I ordered one on 5-30-2022, I guess I still have a wait ahead of me. I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

Is the Discovery a receiver only, or does it also transmit your ADSB position as well? Doesn’t really take the place of the uAvionix Echo package if it doesn't send out position info - correct?

Is the Discovery a receiver only, or does it also transmit your ADSB position as well? Doesn’t really take the place of the uAvionix Echo package if it doesn't send out position info - correct?

Receiver only. I know of no transmit-receive combo for less than $600.

Pirep

I can report that the Discovery works pretty nicely in its primary roll of ADSB-In. The antenna is a short TED ball on a stick type. The ground stations are pretty sparse in southern Ontario, Canada but I was able to pick up one. The Sport EX displayed traffic via a serial link and an iPad running Fltplan Go does the same via WiFi. The attitude information to the iPad does not appear to work properly and GRT does not appear to have tested this feature. I have not flown in inclement weather to date so cannot attest to that bit of functionality.

I hope that helps!

Cheers, Sean

Thanks for the report, I ordered mine May 31st and they said I should have it in October. It's quite a delay but at least it doesn't stop me from flying. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Thanks for the report, I ordered mine May 31st and they said I should have it in October. It's quite a delay but at least it doesn't stop me from flying. I'm looking forward to getting it.

I have been told by GRT that due to parts supplier delays they would not be available until the end of the year.

Hopefully, they are being conservative and we will get them earlier. Ordered mine early this month. Fingers Crossed!

antenna sharing?

... could this use the same antenna that a transponder is currently using or do they need to be separate antenna?

Also, in relation to GRT parts delays, I was told that the Mini's are a year out due parts.

Separate.........

... could this use the same antenna that a transponder is currently using or do they need to be separate antenna?

I wouldn't want to share the antenna with a transponder that is consistently transmitting. Besides the impedance miss-match, I don't think the receiver would be happy with this rather strong transmitted signal from the transponder!

Last edited:
Really Seperate Antennas

What Mel said. GRT has a note in the installation manual about seperation between the receiving antenna and other transmitting antennas. It's 3 ft from transponder, adsb-out and VHF. It's 6' from DME.

Cheers, Sean

I just got a call from GRT, they got their parts and they'll be shipping my Discovery receiver in a couple of days.

I got my Discovery ADSB receiver Saturday, I installed it today. I haven't flown it yet the weather is bad here today. I did push my plane outside the hangar and turn it on, I was getting good traffic on it. I wired it into a GRT Horizon 10.1 but I am also using the built it WIFI to communicate with Foreflight on my I Pad, the WIFI signal is very strong and it works great.

Back