What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Airspace Question

Doug Eves

Well Known Member
I am coming south from Ontario Canada with no ADS-B out and am familiar with the the rules. My final leg will be direct KDBN to KMTH probably at 8500’ hopefully. One of the requirements is when over the Gulf of Mexico, above 3000’, and within 12 nm of shore you need ADS-B out. So when I break free of the tip of Florida I will be overflying “Florida Bay” getting to marathon in a decent but higher than 3000’ for some of that. Is “Florida Bay” considered the Gulf of Mexico?

I used this ADS-B OUT-required Google Earth .kmz file from the FAA website linked below and plotted just the Gulf Coast Class E portion. Looks like part of the Florida Bay is included.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/research/airspace/

i-j64cWJf-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding of this link. I had found it a few months ago but for some reason couldn’t get it to function on my computer. I will revisit this and get help if needed to get it running. From your screen shot it would appear my proposed track line would be right on the “border” of what is considered Gulf of Mexico airspace which requires non ADS-B equipped aircraft to be below 3000’. I would hope to maintain some altitude while crossing the open water down there. Accurate definition of that line will be helpful in planning so I will follow up doing so. Thanks

Learning

I noticed something interesting about the ADSB required out airspace.
The wording says "Gulf of Mexico", so I assumed if you flew down the keys with the Highway and island chain to your west, off of your right wing, you would be over the Straits of Florida/Atlantic side of things and be compliant. (And your passenger would get a great view to boot)

From the .gpx that wouldn't be compliant after Marathon, as it straddles the keys.

If I wasn't ADSB equipped, I would probably just plan to fly to Key Largo anyway, and then down the keys.

And of course there is always to R-2916 "Caution: Unmarked Balloon on Cable to 14,000'" to remember...

What I find interesting is that this particular airspace is not charted? It is on the faa’s website via their interactive map (got it working on my computer) but I can’t see it on any chart. I will be able to manage without it actually appearing on my ForeFlight charts and I am not to concerned really but it is strange that it doesn’t appear on the charts if they actually expect people to stay clear.

Back