What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Counter balance gap

Hangar 26

I'm New Here
Seeking some input here. I attached the left elevator to the HS. I moves freely and it is mounted parallell to the HS. The gap between the counter balance and the HS goes from the specified 0.125 to 0.250. My first thought was to adjust the rod end bearings but then the elevator will not sit parallell with the HS. Do I have a problem here? I guess I can adjust the fairings so they will be flush. Thanks for your input.

(failed trying to attach a picture, but the link seems to work)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197476290@N08/shares/56ox01962V

Last edited:
This is very common. Pre-punched parts in this area do not guarantee squareness. And, yes, adjusting the rod-end bearings is not likely the best answer.

I bet if you place a large square along the elevator spar you will see that the counterbalance arm is not perpendicular. The remedy is to remove the 4-6 rivets common to the elevator counterbalance and elevator, straighten the counterbalance arm to make it perpendicular and re-rivet. It might be worthwhile re-drilling up to #30 and using the next size rivet. You might also have to use a pulled rivet in places where you can't get to the backside to re-buck a solid. Ken Scott from Van's showed this method to me in person at Van's early in my build when I brought my elevator in.

If, like Bruce, others are just starting this from scratch, it would be worth making sure everything is square before match drilling and/or riveting.

Last edited:
If the counterbalance is square then adjusting the rod end bearings is needed as they are probably not all the same or " square". That ended up being the issue for me.

Thanks, I have confirmed that the counter balance arm is not straight. I will not try to re-rivet and make it straight, rather compensate when working with the fairings. I also received a somewhat confused reply from Vans confirming that this is a cosmetic issue.

Here is the last messages in the conversation with Vans. I had already asked if this was an issue and commented that it can’t be adjusted via the rod end bearings. / Lars

Hi Lars,

Sorry about the delay. It’s been a crazy day.

Not sure of the root cause. (Especially from several hundred miles away and via pictures.)

But you can close that gap by adjusting the rod end bearing. Just take a close look at the control horn before you drill it and make sure things seem to be centered before committing to drill.

The other option is to live with the slight cosmetic flaw and build on.

Best Regards!
Eric

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 11:50 AM
To: Support <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Counter balance gap

Hi again,

Sorry for the late reply, we are at a 9 hour time difference. I do not recall (and have not noted in my build log) having any issues riveting the elevators together (besides the trailing edge). On the contrary I was impressed how well the parts came together. Adding a couple of more pictures. The last picture I put a ruler parallel with the outboard side of the elevator and it is clear that the counter balance arm is not straight. Still trying to understand if this will cause any issues. I was also assuming that the pre-punched parts was going to make this straight.

BR Lars

Last edited:
Back