What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix Echo UAT Wiring Question

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
While checking some wiring in my panel today, I came across a discrepancy. The online installation manual for the Echo shows that the ground connection is all the way to the right, the farthest from the antenna connector. The diagram in my wiring installation book which was given to me by my avionics shop shows the ground is in the opposite position, all the way to the left, beside the antenna connection. (See attachments).

Any thoughts or experience with this issue? My airplane is wired according to the current online version, but I have been having problems with PAPR reports an was checking on the wiring.

I'm also interested in finding the led indicator lights on the Echo mentioned on page 15 of the manual. I've checked all sides of the unit but have been unable to locate the "drilled holes" or the led indicators.

Attachments

• Echouat Page 14.pdf
    248.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Echouat Page 14 from Lyon.pdf
    393.3 KB · Views: 145
While checking some wiring in my panel today, I came across a discrepancy. The online installation manual for the Echo shows that the ground connection is all the way to the right, the farthest from the antenna connector. The diagram in my wiring installation book which was given to me by my avionics shop shows the ground is in the opposite position, all the way to the left, beside the antenna connection. (See attachments).

Any thoughts or experience with this issue? My airplane is wired according to the current online version, but I have been having problems with PAPR reports an was checking on the wiring.

I'm also interested in finding the led indicator lights on the Echo mentioned on page 15 of the manual. I've checked all sides of the unit but have been unable to locate the "drilled holes" or the led indicators.

Mine is pin 1 furthest from the antenna for ground. The wire is also the only black one in the bundle. Look under the letter C in ECHO and you should see three small holes. They are really small.

As for a bad PAPR, are you hard wired to the transponder or are you sniffing the signal?

Jim, can you share your PAPR errors. Do you sniff vs hardwired. After all avionics up, what does the ECHO app show for NIC NACp ?

PAPR replies from the FAA basically read as follows:

Your requested Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) could not be completed using the provided criteria:

Search Type: TAIL
Search Value: N642SB
Search Period: 12/09/2022

I have made 3 or 4 flight attempts with the same results each time. Each time flying 20-30 minutes in pretty close proximity to Class C airspace.

As far as sniffing, I believe it is set up to do so. Not entirely sure. My setup pages and the notes from my installer are attached below.

Attachments

• Echo config 1.PNG
    Echo config 1.PNG
    430.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Echo config 2.PNG
    Echo config 2.PNG
    412.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Echo wiring.jpg
    Echo wiring.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 123
Mine is pin 1 furthest from the antenna for ground. The wire is also the only black one in the bundle. Look under the letter C in ECHO and you should see three small holes. They are really small.

As for a bad PAPR, are you hard wired to the transponder or are you sniffing the signal?

I see them now, thanks.

Kind of scary that there are two different similar looking pages with very different pin 1 locations. I would call Uavionics to figure out why this is and would not trust either without guidance on which doc version applies to which units.

Larry

The current installation manual shows pin 1 to be far right. I believe they should be Black wire for the ground, Red for Positive, and then all white for serial pins... and the plug will only go in one way.

On several pages (pg 14, 15, 30-33, 35, and many more) it shows pin 1 on the far right as pin # 1, when looking at the plug straight on. I would go by the latest manual on the uAvionix site, if it's a newer unit, if older then I'd contact uAvionix support to confirm based on the serial number. https://uavionix.com/downloads/echo-uat/echoUAT-User-and-Installation-Guide.pdf

Also, there is a bar or marking ridge on the plug on the ground pin. I looked at one I have and on the plug with the pins the inserts into the echo, there is a ridge or bar marking the ground pin. Also is a Black wire...

Jim, on the setup screen you included above, the is a monitor button. Selecting it will show what is going out. Do you see lat and lon data there? Pressure and gps altitude?

Who's/ what brand GPS is being used for your EchoUAT? Skyfxx ? Has your installer successfully installed one with a passing report ? N other words , familiar with the unit ?

Jim, on the setup screen you included above, the is a monitor button. Selecting it will show what is going out. Do you see lat and lon data there? Pressure and gps altitude?

Who's/ what brand GPS is being used for your EchoUAT? Skyfxx ? Has your installer successfully installed one with a passing report ? N other words , familiar with the unit ?

Butch, I will check the monitor button when back at the airport. Home sick on the living room couch today.

The GPS is Skyfyx EXT. I don't know about the installer's experience with these units. They are not even available to look at the aircraft until after the first of the year. It's kinda why I'm taking some of this on myself.

Uavionix confirmed that the ground connection, pin 1, is all the way to the right, the farthest from the antenna connector.

I have the echo/UAT on my RV 9A with the SafeFly 2020 GPS and had the same problem. I have GRT EFIS and after many emails with GRT I finally got it working better than ever. So many options for settings that it is overwhelming. If you have a similar setup then message me and I will try to tell you what GRT said.

Back