What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon FlightDek D180 SuperDim

ljsflash

Is there any way to make the original D180 brighter? Is there a Factory fix/upgrade? It’s such a great unit but ridiculously dim.

Is there any way to make the original D180 brighter? Is there a Factory fix/upgrade? It’s such a great unit but ridiculously dim.

I don't think Dynon ever offered a factory upgrade option, but maybe check just in case. Otherwise I'd guess your best bet would be to watch the classified section here for a superbright unit to replace it.

Alternatively, if you're feeling pretty adventurous, you could open the unit up and find the LCD display part number then try to cross match it with a compatible but brighter panel.

D180

I’m doing a panel upgrade now or I would look into the factory fix or fixing it the way you mentioned. I’m just surprised that Dynon doesn’t have a factory upgrade. I love everything about the D180 but the screen display brightness level.

Upgrade nla

There was previously a factory upgrade that was available but I believe it has been discontinued, it would be easy enough to check with Dynon support if they can still do it.

Yours must be broken. I'm not in front of mine right now (in the ymca), but I have at least 5 or 6 positions between can't see, and fully bright. No problem seeing it in bright sun:confused:
Ah, I see you're up in Annapolis. If I were closer, I'd just fly up and let you look at mine.

Last edited:
D180

I agree with the previous poster
I fly a bubble canopy and have no problem seeing my D180 in sunlight
Must be something wrong with yours.
Repairs by Dynon are flat rate, I believe $450 for the 180
I purchased a back up unit for my 180 when it went out for repair last year.

I got a backup unit a coupla years ago too. With me, attitude, airspeed and altitude are all in that one Dynon 180 unit. If that puppy went black at night time,:eek: I'd be in a world of hurt. So I wanted to get some sort of 2ed horizon. My mechanic said, "why don't you get a tru Trak autopilot". It also has an attitude indicator, airspeed and altimeter. Problem solved.

I don't think Dynon ever offered a factory upgrade option, but maybe check just in case. Otherwise I'd guess your best bet would be to watch the classified section here for a superbright unit to replace it.

Alternatively, if you're feeling pretty adventurous, you could open the unit up and find the LCD display part number then try to cross match it with a compatible but brighter panel.

I am feeling pretty adventurous since I have just bought one D180 and it is very DIM.
Has anyone here done the LCD display swap and can tell us that part number? Or even better, the part number of the brighter compatible screen?
I hope you don't mind me asking.

Thanks

Dynon D180 FlightDEK Display issue

My unit is D180 FlightDEK 100564-000 with SN 002065
My D180 FlightDEK is very dim, so much that i cannot use it. I bought it second hand but I am stunt that the display is so dim. Therefore I cannot use it. I do not know if my display has deteriorated so badly that is currently unusable, or that was the original display luminosity manufactured by Dynon (hard to believe). I have a D10/A and it is much brighter.

I decided to open my unit and I embarked on some research and I got info I wish to share.

Display Part number: TD070WGCB2
Graphics processor SHARP LH79520-NOG
Connector 40 pins but only 33 are active.
(I have also the specific specs of the processor and the pin assignment for the unit)

This info will enable anyone to replace the current display for a compatible one with the same characteristics. 400 nits. That costs aprox 70$ plus shipping.
Now the trick here would be to have someone open their D180 Superbright and get the Display Part number. (it is very easy, just 8 screws)
Perhaps this is all that Dynon did since it is using the same processor when they serviced the display for the infamous +450 $. They just replaced the display. The problem is that there are so many different displays on the market that is like a needle in a haystack to find the right one.
Knowing the Superbright Display part number would be a win win situation for all of us with the same problem.
So if anyone has one, even a broken one, please feel free to post it here.

Last edited:
And Ditto for the D10a ... I'd love to upgrade that display. No high bright option but if I knew the standard display part number I might find a solution.

Suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have an replacement and NIT upgrade:

26180 Enterprise Way, Building 100
Lake Forest, CA 92630
USA

Toll-Free: 1-866-LCD-SOLAR (1-866-523-7652)
Local: 1-949-458-1080
Fax:1-949-458-1081
Email: [email protected]

Hi folks

I will open my superbright d100 and get you the part type for the lcd.
The non superbright TD070WGCB2 is obsolete but you can get some on eBay / AliExpress for 50$.
Lcd interfaces have some variations but a compatible screen can be found I am sure. 1000cd would be great replacing the 400cd /Sqm of the non superbright display

Stay tuned

Well I did open up the device d120 superbright and…. Same display
Td070wgcb2…. As far as I remember when I requested an lcd swap under warranty due to lighten up red pixels they told me the difference is the backlight. Maybe they change only the backlight?

Attachments

• 8B36332B-4D53-41C1-BC86-E4D5AE0F632F.jpg
    8B36332B-4D53-41C1-BC86-E4D5AE0F632F.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 7352FDB4-30CE-467F-8D09-2F5C9C4A8EF7.jpg
    7352FDB4-30CE-467F-8D09-2F5C9C4A8EF7.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 67
  • 452BFF74-BB76-47AA-9A13-DC3EADC16985.jpg
    452BFF74-BB76-47AA-9A13-DC3EADC16985.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 89
Looking at it on ebay I do see four screws. So maybe the back light is easily accessible/removable?

Yet, if that part number is for the whole thing there really should be a difference in the part number ...

Or maybe it's just a question of boosting the current to the back light?

Finn

Last edited:
Did anyone figure out the puzzle to this yet? I was going to upgrade to the HDX, but even if I handed over 10k for it and the extras, they don't have one to give me.

My panel upgrade last year was everything but the D180/HS34/AP74 that I carried over. I was delaying the HDX so that I could get a feel for what I want after flying my "new" panel for a hundred hours or so.

I have a D180 now that's the super dim version. I have a G5 on my panel and it's a huge difference between that in sunlight in a bubble canopy and the D180. At work my displays in a bubble canopy are comparable to the G5 brightness, so I know the D180 is lacking. I'm not sure if anyone would want to part with their superbright, so I don't think that is an option either.

D180

I believe that Kaiserman did find a remedy. Maybe you can PM him if he isn’t monitoring the thread?

Back