What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 695 - A Fork in the Road? (Panel Upgrade?)

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
The RV-6 is 20 years old and has had a number of piecemeal panel upgrades over the years. Along the way, I pulled the engine gauges and replaced them with a GRT EIS to make room to add a Garmin 695 to drive a Trutrak ADI single axis autopilot. Now, the paint on the panel is starting to look rough and I'm overdue for an ADS-B install. I was planning to kick the can on all of this until after the 2019 RV-10 is finished, but today the Garmin 695 didn't work. Well, it kind of did in that it was outputting a signal to show heading on the autopilot, and it would drive the autopilot, but the screen was dead.

So:

- Is there a known "black screen of death" on the G695 that can be fixed without the application of serious dollars?

- Does anyone have a working 695/696 they might part with? This, is my preferred option at this time, just because it would be plug and play if I can't get my unit to work.

- And the bigger question - since the Trutrak ADI is no longer supported, is it time to bite the bullet and begin planning an RV-6 panel overhaul? After doing the G3X install on the RV-10, I'm not interested in dealing with that level of complexity again, but I'm open to suggestions for a fairly simple VFR setup.

Last edited:
Kyle,

You might just verify that the backlight didn't get turned down all the way. Once the unit is operating, press the power button twice to set it to max bright.

Steve

696 Backlight.png

Support from Garmin got silent ...

Dear Kyle

I'm nearly in the same boat ... but my plane is 5 years old. since the latest software update, it does not accept the Jeppesen charts anymore.

Garmin is giving a poor support again. I tryed it allready with them together to fix it last autumn, but after a while for and back ... it got silent. Now since a month again ... went silent.

This is much to early for me to rip out the unit and redesign my panel ...

The cheapest replacement could be a IPad mini with Skydemon software, but I think it is only an option for Europe.

That with the screen dark/back lite issue ... happen a few times to me too!

Kyle,

You might just verify that the backlight didn't get turned down all the way. Once the unit is operating, press the power button twice to set it to max bright.

Steve

View attachment 9964

I brought it home and hooked it up to the 120VAC to 12V DC power supply and it powered up. The screen was visible but dim, and I did as you suggested, which brought the screen back to life and to full bright. Maybe it was so bright outside today the screen looked totally dark at a dim setting, but I'm surprised I didn't see anything at all.

The question is what caused this in the first place? At least I have an excuse to spend some time at the airport next week! I'm wondering if the (very tired) internal battery is somehow linked to the problem?

I brought it home and hooked it up to the 120VAC to 12V DC power supply and it powered up. The screen was visible but dim, and I did as you suggested, which brought the screen back to life and to full bright. Maybe it was so bright outside today the screen looked totally dark at a dim setting, but I'm surprised I didn't see anything at all.

The question is what caused this in the first place? At least I have an excuse to spend some time at the airport next week! I'm wondering if the (very tired) internal battery is somehow linked to the problem?

I’ve had this happen once or twice on my unit, and I figured out what I had done to make it happen - but the last time was so long ago that I don’t recall. It was something like double clicking the power button, or some such thing - I don’t think its a bug, I think its a feature....

Paul

Kyle, take a look at the RV7 in Taylorsville that we installed a GRT 10.6 sport. That went in easily and was relative simple to wire up although it was a tip up canopy. Two wires hook up all the EIS instrumentation. And with the GRT position source and ADSB mounted to the back of the EFIS you could get nav , auto pilot and flight planning all on that larger screen along with flight instruments . Problem may be covering all the empty holes in that panel from 6 pack installation. Let me know if you want to look one afternoon.

Kyle, take a look at the RV7 in Taylorsville that we installed a GRT 10.6 sport. That went in easily and was relative simple to wire up although it was a tip up canopy. Two wires hook up all the EIS instrumentation. And with the GRT position source and ADSB mounted to the back of the EFIS you could get nav , auto pilot and flight planning all on that larger screen along with flight instruments . Problem may be covering all the empty holes in that panel from 6 pack installation. Let me know if you want to look one afternoon.

Thank you, Dennis. I may take you up on that. I figure the first step in a panel upgrade would be to buy a new panel blank from Van's, cut it, fit the new stuff, then do a "drop-in" replacement. Obviously, there's no such thing as a true drop-in replacement, but there's no way I'd try to use the existing panel.

Kyle thats exactly what we did. Had a new panel cut. Just to many unused 3 1/8 holes to try to mask. Actually Cary still has the other half of the instrument panel sheet you could probably start with and get a custom CNC cutter to fab. Would be perfect for a 6.

Last edited:
If you need to replace your battery, here is an excellent source for quality replacement packs. I did a couple myself but they will also do it for you for a few dollars more. Fraction of a new one from Garmin and fresher too.

http://store.batteriesamerica.com/bp-696i72v4000mahni-mhreplacementinsertforgarmingpsmap696596.aspx

I've found those guys before, and I probably need to send them my battery, but I'm of the opinion that the underlying problem may be the little button sized internal battery that helps regulate the unit when it is offline. Garmin no longer supports the 695/696, so I'm on my own on that repair. There are online directions to replace that battery (or a similar one) on the 396, so I'm sure it can be done of the 695/6 too.

So it wasn't the screen after all huh? Glad you took it home and plugged it in. You know my answer about the upgrading question. Add it to the list after the RV10 is finished :rolleyes: I think I have RV7 blank panel in the hangar that you are welcome to have, not sure it will fit but I know how you are with power tools :D

Folks

All batteries can be changed for little money.
Fully compatible insert for the large pack is nibp730 battery. 40$. Includes also the thermistor

Internal lithium battery : Yes it can be done. Vl1220-fcn is the type. Did it. Works fine

Last edited:
Back