What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 serial number 1

CPSONE

Well Known Member
RV6 serial number 1 at the Evergreen Aviation museum. Nice!:)
Notice the "Goose" in the background Got 0.2hrs at the controls...
Then on to Van's for a demo flight in N137RV. Bought a 7A QB project this week. The fun continues...
2ikfnms.jpg

Slider didn't become available until around 1992.

If I remember correctly, Alan Tolle built the first "customer built" -6. It was white/blue.
Completed in 1989, the year I started building mine.

Serial number 1 is listed as N66RV, built by Richard/Diane Vangrunsven in 1988. It originally had a tip-up canopy and updraft cooling. It was affectionately known as "Old Blue".

Registration expired in June of this year.

Last edited:
Looks like pressure recovery wheel pants, too.

It's likely that if this is indeed SN 1, that the slider and PR pants were tested on it before they went to production.

Hmmm...if that is serial number one, I wonder if it's mobile, or flyable? Love to see it brought to AirVenture next summer!

Here's #2 RV-6
Jim Baldwin. He hangars at the same field as me. You won't meet a nicer , more helpful guy!!!

james_baldwin_plane.jpg

Sorry I don't have a bigger picture.

Jim won the Bingelis Award in 2010.

I was lucky enough to get to fly #2 before I few my -8 and it flies great!!

Slider didn't become available until around 1992.

If I remember correctly, Alan Tolle built the first "customer built" -6. It was white/blue.
Completed in 1989, the year I started building mine.

I think Alan Tolle's second -6 (also two tone blue and white) in 1991 was the slider prototype, maybe also the first customer -6A?

Mystery plane trivia

The red plane in the museum is actully kit number 1 of the RV-6T which was originally a mock up for the the nigerian airforce trainer. It later went on to be Vans transition trainer. I have over three thousands hours in the plane and a lot of people took their training in it. Tail number 66VA. Mike

Looks like #3 is owned by Donald Neff in Johnson Lake, Nebraska.
N489, completed by Neil Vanderzanden in December of 1993, 7 months after mine (plans number 20560).

Last edited:
RV6 SN 1 another pic

The sign board in front of the -6 states;
"This aircraft is RV-6 Serial #1, and was retained as an engineering prototype by Van's Aircraft in Aurora Oregon. It was refurbished and donated by Richard VanGrunsven himself."
It notes June 1985 ws the first flight date.
Max speed 198mph
Cruise speed 187mph

68t2qe.jpg

Incredible...
14v1mir.jpg

Looks like #3 is owned by Donald Neff in Johnson Lake, Nebraska.
N489, completed by Neil Vanderzanden in December of 1993, 7 months after mine (plans number 20560).

Mel,

Where did you find this information? I have plans number 20306 and am just wondering where that falls in the grand scheme of things. Would that be plans set 306? How does the numbering system work?

Thanks

Information came from.....

Mel,
Where did you find this information? I have plans number 20306 and am just wondering where that falls in the grand scheme of things. Would that be plans set 306? How does the numbering system work?
Thanks

FAA website <registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/>

20306 would be RV-6, S/N 306. RV-4 plans start with 1XXXX and RV-6 plans start with 2XXXX

Last edited:
The red plane in the museum is actully kit number 1 of the RV-6T which was originally a mock up for the the nigerian airforce trainer. It later went on to be Vans transition trainer. I have over three thousands hours in the plane and a lot of people took their training in it. Tail number 66VA. Mike

Listen to Mike... He has it right (museums sometimes make mistakes)

RV-6 serial # 1 first flew sometime in 1985 (I think) It is blue with a yellow stripe down the side. It is in long term / non-flyable storage (no engine. etc.)

The prototype RV-6A first flew I think sometime in 1987 or early 1988. It is painted exactly like the prototype RV-6, which has caused some confusion over the years... It is a different airplane. It is still flying today. Currently used by Mike Seager for Tri-gear transition training.

The red airplane in the museum was serial # 1 RV-6T. It began life some time around 1990 as a tri-gear prototype for the Air Beetle trainer (do a google search). In about 1998 it was converted to a tail dragger and Mike used it for tail dragger transition training until it was retired about 2005 or so, and replaced with an RV-7.

The red RV-6(T) in the museum is a static display only. All usable parts were transferred to Mikes new RV-7 trainer, N477RV.

Last edited:
RV6T

Scott -
If memory serves me right the RV6T was "retired" by a Lancair at Oshkosh in 2003. It is good to see it lives on despite it's tough life. It is in a nice place.

In about 1998 it was converted to a tail dragger and Mike used it for tail dragger transition training until it was retired about 2005 or so, and replaced with an RV-7
Was this airplane doing demo rides at Oshkosh in 1999? It looks really familiar. If so, i (and many others) got my $30k free ride in that one.

Was this airplane doing demo rides at Oshkosh in 1999? It looks really familiar. If so, i (and many others) got my $30k free ride in that one.

Probably the one Jeff.
Besides doing t-training, lots of tail wheel demo flights were flown in that airplane.

Back