What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting to radio trays?

Duhg

Well Known Member
Planning the avionics harness and would like to mount the GAD29 to the top of my radios (specifically the GNX 375 tray). Is there a good way to do this that won’t interfere with the GNX ?

Attachments

• 4470FADB-C1E0-4F52-A220-5A08329F825E.jpg
    4470FADB-C1E0-4F52-A220-5A08329F825E.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 94
  • 35F6DB81-2D87-4E1E-B51B-F7A657DE3CE8.jpeg
    35F6DB81-2D87-4E1E-B51B-F7A657DE3CE8.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 94
I considered something like this, but decided against it because I was concerned about the heat coming off the radio rack.

Before you go too far down this path you might want to confirm that it won't cause a problem either by overheating the GAD or by choking off cooling and overheating your GNX.

Also, you might want to take a look at the connectors and back shells. By the time you get wires coming out of them they take up a surprising amount of room and you may have a clearance problem with the connector for the GAD facing the connector for the AP controller. Don't know for sure, just something to think about.

Last edited:
I considered something like this, but decided against it because I was concerned about the heat coming off the radio rack.

Before you go too far down this path you might want to confirm that it won't cause a problem either by overheating the GAD or by choking off cooling and overheating your GNX

With remote mounted items, I've stacked units like the OP proposes. However, I left a decent amount of airspace between them for cooling airflow.

I also would be concerned about reduced heat dissapation. Also, the clearance between the rack and box is small, so you would need to dimple the rack in order for the screws to not interfere. I would rivet on some type of mounting bracket for the 29 that leaves a good inch for air movement and eliminates the screw issue.

Larry

Rear screws

In the trays, there is a rear screw that i used to attach the trays together. I believe it takes a #6 100 degree countersunk screw from the inside.(not from home depot, radiois wont slide in!) It would be simple to extend this bracket up and pick up the mounting feet for the gad29. You can even leave a space for air to flow. Jmho

Thank you for the replies. I understand the concerns with cooling and the GAD would need to be high enough to leave room for the fasteners. Mostly looking for ideas on mounting to the trays.

John, I'll take a good look at the locations and fasteners you mentioned.

Back