What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel redo

rwarre

Well Known Member
Have had my plane for 11 years, looking to upgrade my panel. Mostly I want to reorganize some of the switches and backup gauges. Thought about creating multiple sections for easy removal. Any builders that have done this please chime in for pros and cons and problems you might have run into. Thanks

U maybe wanna confirm what RV u talking about, then more will chime in :)
According your profile a -7… correct?

One idea, instead of (or in addition to) removable panel sections is to hinge the panel on the bottom, so it can be swung back and future work be done over the top, comfortably from the front seats. This has worked very well for me - lying on my back under the panel is not one of my favorite activities. I have an article submitted to Kitplanes on the topic, should be out whenever they get to it....

My panel has its roots in a 3rd party kit that was available from Affordable Panels so I have some experience with the modular panel concept. The good news is if you want to change part of the panel it is easier to do. The bad news is there are more pieces to fit together so it's more difficult to get it all to fit well. In the Affordable Panels arrangement there is a sub-panel behind the panel sections that you see. The visible panel sections are then screwed to that sub-panel. I do still like the idea, but I'm sure it is more work than using just a single panel piece.

I started with the Van's supplied DXF drawing and sliced it up to fit the Affordable Panels layout. You could slice it however you want, but I tried match the sub-panel that I had. Once I had those sections I was able to move on to the next step.

I created my panel sections using the Front Panel Express tool. For their tool you need the outer shape of the pieces which came from the DXF file. I like the FPE services but it can tend to be a little pricey and it tends like all things to be getting more expensive. However, it has allowed me to build a visually professional looking panel which is powder coated and engraved.

Is it a tip up or slider? Are you looking to install glass panels (Garmin, Dynon, GRT, etc.)?

Others have mentioned panel sections. One thing to consider is that if installing new EFIS, the displays come out easily with 4-6 screws. Have a good length for the service loop for the screens and you really wont need panel sections. The big screens provide an equally large access hole in the panel to get in behind it.

I rebuilt the panel on our tip up in stages, so I never quite got around to removing the old one. In the end, I had three sub panels screwed to the original that house the new arrangement and cover old holes. I like it.

Be sure to take the time to wire things not only with service loops, but neatly, because they will need to be temporarily removed at some point.

My panel has its roots in a 3rd party kit that was available from Affordable Panels so I have some experience with the modular panel concept. The good news is if you want to change part of the panel it is easier to do. The bad news is there are more pieces to fit together so it's more difficult to get it all to fit well. In the Affordable Panels arrangement there is a sub-panel behind the panel sections that you see. The visible panel sections are then screwed to that sub-panel. I do still like the idea, but I'm sure it is more work than using just a single panel piece.

I started with the Van's supplied DXF drawing and sliced it up to fit the Affordable Panels layout. You could slice it however you want, but I tried match the sub-panel that I had. Once I had those sections I was able to move on to the next step.

I created my panel sections using the Front Panel Express tool. For their tool you need the outer shape of the pieces which came from the DXF file. I like the FPE services but it can tend to be a little pricey and it tends like all things to be getting more expensive. However, it has allowed me to build a visually professional looking panel which is powder coated and engraved.

Hi,
I just got a powder coated panel delivered from FPE - very good quality and my only complain is a bit too much gloss for my taste … any idea on how to dull it down a bit ? Perhaps mate clear coat ?

I designed the panel for my -6. It is modular with a separate support frame. I have been happy with it so far, but also haven't had a need yet to re-panel it. In reality, it is just as easy to make a new panel as to make a new panel section. With the glass panels of today, access is also less of an issue due to the giant PFD/MFD holes in the panel.

Years down the road, when it is time to redo the panel, you probably won't be able to match the color exactly, so end up refinishing the whole thing anyway. In the end, I say the modular panel is cool, but not really much of an advantage.

FP10022014A0001T.jpg

FP10022014A0001X.jpg

Back