What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing electrical/ avionics

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Decided to use my my paint rotisserie on the fuselage a little longer after painting. Had planned to mount the engine first after painting but thought what an opportunity to do all the panel install and harness.
WOW, what a difference. With the fuselage upside down , everything fall away from you. The wires aren't dangling in your face . When you need another tool , just roll you stool out from under the fuselage and go get it.
I will never install an engine before tackling the electrical ever again. Try it on your next build and you won't ever do it the other way round either. Have not seen one downside yet.

My technical advisor is an A&P/IA thats kinda the local RV expert.

He suggested doing the panel and wiring before doing any of the tops skins.

Basically install the control column and the rudder pedals, temporarily bolt the empennage on and rig the elevators and rudder, then wire it up, all while its still on the rotisserie.

The pitch push-pull tube has gotta come out to get to the rivets for the aft top skins. But, thats a piece of cake.

My empennage will also come back off until final assembly. But, all the avionics and wiring aft of the firewall will be done before the top skins and firewall forward.

Why?

Why do all the good ideas come about after I’ve done it the dumb way?

Oddly enough, I didn't use my rotisserie setup at all while doing wiring work, even though I very intentionally left it in place thinking I'd use it a lot. I found it easier to lean over the side and keep needed tools nearby in the canoe than to have to keep removing everything before rolling it over.

It's worth noting, though, that I built up my harnesses on a wiring buck, so the work done in the fuselage itself was mostly limited to lacing up sections and terminating areas that had to be done in situ.

Be careful to not paint yourself into a corner. What you put in today will need to be maintained tomorrow. That means it might need to come out to either replace, troubleshoot, or upgrade.

When does the warranty on your avionics begin? If it takes a year to finish the remaining build, how does this affect the warranty on your installed avionics? I’m thinking about doing the same thing, but concerned about the warranty.

Warranty

So far as I know, most warranties start with purchase. There are some (I think) that start with installation, but l’m not sure which. That is really disappointing, as all of my avionics warranties have expired. If I am mistaken in this, please correct my misunderstanding.

Be careful to not paint yourself into a corner. What you put in today will need to be maintained tomorrow. That means it might need to come out to either replace, troubleshoot, or upgrade.

Exactly!

Tricks like leaving off the top skin to wire and such will haunt you down the line. I recommend a design that allows all panel work to be done on the bench. With the panel out most will have more than adequate access to the wire runs, modules mounted behind the panel and such for future maintenance and modifications.

A panel is not “one and done”. The panel in my first RV was redone five times in 20 years. The first RV-10 the panel was redone after just 18 months. Once you are flying you will find things to change.

Carl

Outsource wiring work or do it myself?

I'll more than likely go with Dynon HDX in my RV8 and am trying to decide between a third party doing the panel wiring or do it myself. Roughly $3K difference. I'm first time builder but enjoy the wiring stuff and am fairly competent. Still trying to wrap my arms around all of this electrical / panel work. What should I consider and can someone explain to me the benefit of the Dynon ACM. Looking for some knowledge from those that have been there.

Back