What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (3/6/21 - 3/7/21)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Getting it started.

Saturday post-hangar cleaning session:
IMG_2940_HEIC-XL.jpg

Whoa, for once I actually had an “RV weekend”!... Saturday morning flew from Houston up to Sulphur Springs to a fly-in; was a huge turn out, looked like 75+ airplanes of all types. Then over to Mt Pleasant to check out the warbird collection, but the hangars were all closed up, booo. After that, I wandered around a bit, ended up at Atlanta, TX (ATA) for lunch. Did y’all know there’s a Whataburger right outside the airport gate? Gimme a #1 combo all the way with a Dr Pepper please. Burp.

Then, home to do a quick oil change. Barely spilled a drop, cleanest oil change I’ve ever managed. Still gotta cut open the filter, I’ll get to that in a coupla days...

Interesting weekend

Saturday the wife and I flew to KCRQ for a great breakfast.

Today (Sunday) was IMC so we filed for KCMA thinking it would be a nice change, Joined the GPS Zulu approach with Magoo who then turned us over to Camerillo tower. They were barely VFR and getting quite busy. We were cleared to land number 3 behind a Cessna 190. Just short of the runway we were told to "Go Around", which probably should have been instructions to fly the missed, but when asked I cancelled my flight plan and then they told us that there was a "mishap" on the runway and it was going to be awhile.

So we diverted to Santa Paula, had a great breakfast plus it was "First Sunday" so the airport was open to the general public.

All in all it turned out to be a great day - but maybe not so great for C-190 N190RC....
The report I got was Ground looped and flipped.
(edit) The VC star says they did not require medical attention. There is a RV connection; RV-6A builder and pilot Paul Rosales (Rosie) knows the pilot as they are both based at Rosamond Skypark in CA. https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/2...reeVDLtDx156baGvBXNOQ5AKMWZF60N4U8okbSGvFqBN4

-Marc

Last edited:
Did a round trip from Tampa up to Charlotte NC and back. Pretty rough today but we had a righteous tailwind on the trip back and averaged over 200kts GS.

Last edited:
Another Pilots n Paws Mission

A momma and her 3 puppies were headed to Tampa, FL. The foster brought the dogs to me at Moontown (3M5) this time. I flew them down to Lake City, FL to meet Luiz who was flying them the rest of the way to Tampa.

A photo of the puppies - everybody likes puppies!

kYdRugS3j8G9d4f4xTQw2BrowWAR3sPivif-0v94ntqw9sYqflPTQ-R5kk4Mgc2rJCjTN30otW1reACHQhcEoa6NbJsnelHEV2bV9YuV9OGm0H8It3L5Qg3u3A9boNGegjGzytQ2UjLAm7neAt6JYhsajD8_AVvl88Hp6lDBk4GjVf0dNZTacO_6vvq0UhSlG_jjagLYdcbXj8udh2x-x5PEIVJZwa224zbS6dHuf7l2E4gavODacDEhMNRrR4xsXFR2odnUgQZvzS6aYCiZQm9JghZW2584fOiuKLkc5M719nRayfx9kwWl4WOzp97B0nQ72lrpPFJxt2LakmnWO0hVxefdzypVXbYoC5Ke23P_WIqG2HsjIpwoNYq4D92OCvNtl9i85k1kxiXr3_ZtxKiI1D2aAEy_ouYaLh3cyh4to4wXpFznODafw1O5x-I9YNG_a945F6aihcSl1CBvitsNo8qws_J6LklO96iQqm3Y8V0SH_-bg3GQzwZFhnauB6efVJDovXzcwkuoLyWrraF-XKAJE8E5gVX8LX8JAEd2aXZA1C7KtSXipJ5CuMPSEwojDXb56LphqkhG6as9s-qyOSHW7q0ZCy-FYpgRE4DuF7D7vQPLyhabgsNnBJHj2t69pwnN56ZfUy5A4W1jtJFy_B71sRvajvHDz4BBX3wCq_tJeccS4GC-slkcDJE=w1280

Last edited:
Ohio River Flooding

Took off and flew south from KFRH to survey how bad the flooding was. Picture does not give it justice.

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 240
WW2 Vets

A local group of us have been planning this for a couple months, waiting for the right weather, and today was it.

Back in December a WW2 vet was looking for Christmas cards to cheer him up. I caught wind of the story, made some contacts and fast forward to today here we were doing a 6 ship mini airshow for him and 2 other WW2 vets at Leroy's house. Having just turned 99, his war record is an interesting read in itself. It was an honor to be able to show our appreciation for what these men did.

https://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/flyover-honors-tri-state-veterans/

https://www.scribd.com/document/488...Uv6IwTh3a9hpf1MLWOD_s_Ji6A8Mg0Ycoo5cnsMwDtLvA

Attachments

• 20210307_141032.jpg
    20210307_141032.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
  • 20210307_135700.jpg
    20210307_135700.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 20210307_135825.jpg
    20210307_135825.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 195
I managed to turn a simple oil change into a most-of-the-day affair.

The oil change went really well. It's the 50 hour since overhaul oil change so I took a sample and will be sending it to Blackstone. I may be a few hours early to get meaningful data, but it's not much money in the grand scheme of things and I want complete trends as this overhaul ages.

I tightened a few bits and pieces and secured a few things that were chafing, but what really screwed me up is that I managed to disconnect the wires going to my fuel pressure transducer. I've got an old VM1000 system and I could've sworn I have an installation manual for the bugger, but my house is a disaster and I just can't find the manual.

I ended up searching the ends of the internet to find what amounts to a pinout description for the fuel pressure transducer. Plugged everything in and re-cowled the plane for the second time today and all is now right with the world.

I'm off work for the next 3 days, so I topped off the tanks with plans to fly to breakfast and maybe a lunch or two over the next 3 days. I can't seem to ever get enough of flying little airplanes. I've put about 75 hours on my Glasair 1RG and 50 hours on the RV since mid-July, 2020.

I did a little full speed run yesterday to warm the oil up. I've got the gear leg intersection fairings removed as well as the wheel pants. To add to the drag, the wheel pant brackets are installed and hanging in the wind. At 6,500' density altitude, I was making 24.7" of manifold pressure and turning 2680 rpm. I did a 4 way run and averaged 167.25 knots true. It'll be interesting to see how much I gain with the fairings and wheel pants.

I did a little formation flying with a P35 IO-520 powered Bonanza last week and I think he was as fast as I am. I'm now motivated to get the pants and fairings installed. Can't have a spam can keeping up with me!

Flew N781DM to Haskell (2K9) for breakfast Saturday morning, with my brother Mitchell in trail in N159MA. He gave 3 rides in his -9A. I think we have a prospective new builder now, lol. Then on to Grand Lake (3O9) for lunch at the airport. Burned about 27 gallons of 100LL.

My landing at Haskell was the first landing at an airport other than the home drome since FAA sign off. I think my engine is getting close to broken in now, so it's probably time to start the real phase 1 flying. :)

flying close to my home at Lindau - Lake Constance. these mountains are the beginning of the austrian alps. the first row of mountains in the foreground belongs to germany.

scenery in 12.5 kft was breathtaking. smartphone pictures can't do justice.

Attachments

• FotoJet.jpg
    FotoJet.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Germany

I’ve visited Lindau and the Austrian Alps near there. Absolutely beautiful part of Europe.

-Andy

Visited daughter at Ole Miss (from Cincy)

My wife and I took to the skies Friday in our RV12 to visit our daughter at Ole Miss. About 3.3hrs from Cincy on the way there -> 391nm. Non-stop (tailwind for the win). And about 4.5hrs on way back on Sunday due to small headwind, and the first place I stopped for fuel did not actually have fuel (ugh). So, had to hop somewhere else. Probably cost us about 40-45 min total.

Either way, the trip was smooth and weather was great! Not a bad x-country in an RV12 really.

Attachments

• 20210305_141852301_iOS.jpg
    20210305_141852301_iOS.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 20210305_152207320_iOS.jpg
    20210305_152207320_iOS.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 20210307_195144908_iOS.jpg
    20210307_195144908_iOS.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 288
Saturday, I was flying for work.. Sunday, I flew for fun in the RV. Went from Fallbrook (L18) to Concord (CCR) with my wife, to see her parents. Average GS, takeoff to touchdown was 163 KTS. Upon landing, her Dad wanted to go for a ride to see his duck club from the air. Just a short 20 minute flight.. This morning, we headed home, with an average GS takeoff to touchdown of 167 KTS. Can't fault that...

Ice Runway Fly-In

Flew to an ice runway on Mille Lacs Lake Minnesota for a fly-in brunch, IcePort 2021, with give aways from Mac's Twin Bay Resort and Tanis. Beautiful sunny, light wind, 43 degree day--warm by Minnesota standards for this time of year.

Attachments

• IcePort2021.jpg
    IcePort2021.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 294
Test flew after the condition inspection and then to Haskel for coffee and donuts, visited with RV10Man :). Great day to fly.

On the condition inspection I found another crack around the oil cooler baffle area (rear bulkhead) and decided to rebuild the area and completely redo the baffles. Reverted to the Vans material from the silicon material I put on about 5 years ago as I think the silicon is too thick/stiff and somehow transmitting vibration. I also decided to try to do a better job in the front behind the flywheel. Net result is a 20-30 deg drop in CHT's, very happy :D
Figs

A momma and her 3 puppies were headed to Tampa, FL. The foster brought the dogs to me at Moontown (3M5) this time. I flew them down to Lake City, FL to meet Luiz who was flying them the rest of the way to Tampa.

A photo of the puppies - everybody likes puppies!

Serious question - how do we protect the hearing of these dogs that ride along in our very loud airplanes? RVs are some of the loudest. Take your headset off and see what a dog without hearing protection is experiencing...

If I were to bring my adult dog I'd use Mutt Muffs, but puppies might not have that option. Would they keep Mutt Muffs on?

Thanks for helping me understand.

I was a good time!!

Flew to an ice runway on Mille Lacs Lake Minnesota for a fly-in brunch, IcePort 2021, with give aways from Mac's Twin Bay Resort and Tanis. Beautiful sunny, light wind, 43 degree day--warm by Minnesota standards for this time of year.

You must have been the green 12? Lots of fun!!

Flew the RV-8 down to Adaminaby for the Snowy River Aviators monthly fly in barbecue. Always seems to be quite a variety of aircraft that turn up.

Attachments

• 7792C4EF-D4D1-45CE-8815-4AA78E71C111.jpeg
    7792C4EF-D4D1-45CE-8815-4AA78E71C111.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 275
Serious question - how do we protect the hearing of these dogs that ride along in our very loud airplanes? RVs are some of the loudest. Take your headset off and see what a dog without hearing protection is experiencing...

If I were to bring my adult dog I'd use Mutt Muffs, but puppies might not have that option. Would they keep Mutt Muffs on?

Thanks for helping me understand.

In my experience, it does not seem to bother the dogs - although many do seem to fold their ears back.

My perspective on this is that in all likelihood, this will be the only time these dogs will fly - so this is a one time exposure event. In many instances, these dogs are coming from kill shelters, so I guess you also have to consider the alternative. If I was flying with my dog on a regular basis, I would most likely do mutt muffs or similar.

Back