What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Private pilot license in an RV-9A?

agirard7a

Well Known Member
Hello all. I need to finish up a few hours to get my private.

Is there a CFI available in a 9a that I could finish up with
combined with some transition training?

No, unless the cfi will do it for free. E-AB aircraft cannot be used for compensation or hire. A waiver (LODA) can be obtained for transition training, but not for PP training.
Unless you meant in your aircraft, that you own a 9. If so any cfi can legally do it, although it would be wise to find one with RV9 experience.

Or you'd have to use your own RV If I understand correctly. What's a private license anyway?

Read your operating limitation letter. Mine state "no person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property for hire". Anything else goes including rental. Renting an experimental aircraft and hiring an instructor should be OK.

After reading this thread, had a couple Q's (not trying to hijack)

I'm trying to interest another pilot that I work with in purchasing an RV. He is another militarty instructor looking to get his equivalence CFI rating and teach his wife how to fly (who has shown considerable interest). I was under the impression he would need to rent a cessna or something to teach his wife, however after reading some threads is it possible for him to purchase the RV, and teach his wife (obviously free of charge) to fly? Aside from the complications associated with teaching your spouse to do anything, can someone well versed in FAR/AIM comment on the legality of the training? Thanks a bunch.

I'm trying to interest another pilot that I work with in purchasing an RV. He is another militarty instructor looking to get his equivalence CFI rating and teach his wife how to fly (who has shown considerable interest). I was under the impression he would need to rent a cessna or something to teach his wife, however after reading some threads is it possible for him to purchase the RV, and teach his wife (obviously free of charge) to fly? Aside from the complications associated with teaching your spouse to do anything, can someone well versed in FAR/AIM comment on the legality of the training? Thanks a bunch.

Totally legitimate. The potential issue will be finding a DPE to conduct a check ride in the RV. Or you could rent a C-150 for the last 10 hours until she is comfortable in the 150 and get the check ride in the 150 (as an example).

I checked into renting an RV to a flying club. I was informed that it was not possible, due to the FAA considers renting to be in violation of 91.319(a)2.

FAR 91.319:

(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate --

(1) For other than the purpose for which the certificate was issued; or

(2) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

(b) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate outside of an area assigned by the Administrator until it is shown that --

(1) The aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all the maneuvers to be executed; and

(2) The aircraft has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features.

(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway. The Administrator may issue special operating limitations for particular aircraft to permit takeoffs and landings to be conducted over a densely populated area or in a congested airway, in accordance with terms and conditions specified in the authorization in the interest of safety in air commerce.

(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall --

(1) Advise each person carried of the experimental nature of the aircraft;

(2) Operate under VFR, day only, unless otherwise specifically authorized by the Administrator; and

(3) Notify the control tower of the experimental nature of the aircraft when operating the aircraft into or out of airports with operating control towers.

(e) The Administrator may prescribe additional limitations that the Administrator considers necessary, including limitations on the persons that may be carried in the aircraft.

(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 2120-0005)

Check your operation limitations. There are different categories of experimental aircraft. Under experimental ametuer built rental is permitted as long as it is not used to carry for hire.

I am sorry, this is abolutely forbidden. If you rent your E-AB, the plane is carrying someone (the pilot) for hire. Ask any FSDO. This is exactly why there is such a production over LODAs and transition training.
If you own the airplane, you may hire a cfi, no issues. Or if your spouse does not charge you(!), that is okay. It is charging for the airplane that is the issue.

Whether or not it is a good idea to be your spouse's cfi varies, I think, from couple to couple. How well does he or she respond to criticism?

Ken is correct, designated examiners are allowed to decline flying in E-AB aircraft. However, around here, it is easy to find some who will, especially RVs.

While I am on this rant:
From time to time I see a post, "Looking for a ride in an RV. Will pay for gas."

Posters, please realize that this is a public forum, and it is a violation of the FARs for a pilot to accept such an offer. Please, keep any monetary transactions private.

If you rent your E-AB, the plane is carrying someone (the pilot) for hire. Ask any FSDO.

While it may be forbidden, I don't feel this example is accurate. The pilot is not "for hire" if they are not being paid or compensated. If what you said was true, a private pilot could not rent any airplane because the pilot would be flying "for hire."

Maybe I am over simplifying this, but if there was a 9a owner who was a CIF that would teach me how to fly in the same type of plane I am building, that is just what I am looking for. If I pay him well for his instruction time and he uses that to cover the costs, everyone wins. I am a safer pilot and the instructor is able to continue helping other new pilots become better.

Unfortunately this is not possible. If the instructor provides the plane it is being used for hire, even if the instructor does it for free it is in violation of the FARS. If this was so it would mean we dont need any LODAs. The only way it is possible if the student provides the plane then it will be ok. Mike

Brad, you misunderstood, or I mis-worded. It is the aircraft that is being used for hire, not the pilot, and that is what is not allowed. Most of these compensation or hire rules apply to the aircraft, or more precisely the person who has operational control (often the owner) of the aircraft.

Mike, thanks for the info. It makes me wonder how the FAA can make rules that are in exact conflict with their expressed concern for homebuilt safety. I guess it doesn't really make me wonder. When unelected bureaucrats make "rules" when they haven't got a clue, this is what we get.

Rules that make no sense tends to encourage people to not follow those rules. Or people find ways around the rules.

Unfortunately this is not possible. If the instructor provides the plane it is being used for hire, even if the instructor does it for free it is in violation of the FARS. If this was so it would mean we dont need any LODAs. The only way it is possible if the student provides the plane then it will be ok. Mike

Back