What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lightest RV-6

liteplane

Well Known Member
I have the wings and empenage done and am starting the fuse, and would like to know who has built the lightest one flying.

Don't know about the lightest. Mine was 994 lbs. before paint and wheel fairings.
O-320-E3D, Warnke wood prop, Com radio, intercom, transponder, loran C, full (electric) gyro panel, fuel flow, 7 qts. oil, dual brakes, nav/strobe lights, full interior prime. Temper-foam/cloth seats.

Last edited:
1009 lbs

I would like to know what engine is on these light planes. With an 0-360, wood prop, fairings and paint mine weighed in at 1009 lbs. It fly's like Vans says it should.

I just helped a friend, Gord Baxter, weigh his RV7. It came in at 1003 without paint. The weight includes 7 quarts of oil.
He has a 0-320 with a metal FP prop, VFR panel, leather seats.

Vans aircraft 66RV was weighed in at 965 lbs. Mike

Yet......most of Van's airplanes have now been converted to constant speed props --- I believe.

I sure like that extra feel of thrust on takeoff/climb in my somewhat heavier RV6A due to the C/S prop setup. I'll take it's performance anyday over a lighter "6" with a FP.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back