What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
My insurance company, AIG, wants five hours dual in model and type to cover me on the first flight of N14SE an RV-7A. I spent three hours this past weekend with Pierre Smith running around the pattern in his beautiful RV-6A; which, by the way, is configured exactly like mine. Same engine, prop and gauges. My agent, Travers, went back to AIG to get a quote to update my policy from building to flying. Long story short, they weren't happy that my transition training was in an RV-6A and not an RV-7A. They agreed to accept the three hours but want the remaining two in an RV-7A.

Anyone else run into this? I thought a 6A and 7A were interchangeable for transition training. Especially with the exact same engine, prop and instruments. Oh well, will have to scout out an RV-7A somewhere in the Midwest.

Insurance Requirements

When we purchased insurance for the 8A, Nationwide, an insurance broker, required 5 hours in an "A" model RV. I got 5 in an RV9A. That was acceptable.
In this case, AIG was also the insurance company.

I think maybe you have an underwriter that doesn't understand the RV series. Maybe ask your broker to get with the underwriter on this.

Jim Delveau in Des Moines (Ankeny actually - IKV) offers transition training in his RV6 and also has access to a 7A for tri-gear training.

He can be reached at jdelveau at msn dot com.

Jim provided me transition training in the RV7-A he has access to which met the requirements of my Nationwide insurance of 5 hours training in similar type RV-A aircraft. My aircraft is an RV9-A but that was not a problem for Nationwide and was not a problem for me when it came time for me to fly my RV9-A.

I went with falcon. I only did 3.2 hrs in the RV6A last august. When I called a couple weeks ago I mentioned that I only needed 3.2 hrs and that I had in the last year 300hrs in a kitfox tail wheel, which flew very close to the RV, my guy said, 3 hrs is good enough, happy flying. Try calling falcon. Also, I pointed out that the RV6A is the only aircraft in my area that is approved by the FAA for doing training. That was good enough for falcon.

That's interesting. I have my insurance with the same carrier, and they were fine with me doing my transition training with Mike Seager in the company RV-6A. In fact, Van's doesnt have an RV7A to do transition training in, only a 6A or a 7...
I guess times change, but (IMHO) a 6A (or a 6) is a more sensitive plane to fly than a 7...you'd think they'd be happy with transition training in a 6 if you're going to fly a 7.

Paraphrasing Monty Python, "is there anyone else you can talk to?"

Steve,
I deal with AIG everyday for RV's and they will accept RV-6A training for the RV-7A, as Sid stated it sounds like the underwriter may be confused. I would have your broker contact them again and try to get this resolved. Depending on your total pilot hours there's a good chance that AIG would even accept the 3 hours of dual you've already got with Pierre in lieu of the 5 hours they required.

Regards,

Jenny Estes
NationAir Aviation Insurance
877-475-5860

Gee I hope that your transition aircraft is painted the same color as yours as well. I got transition training through Mike Seager in the RV-6A and insurance from Nationair through Global Aerospace. They required 5 hours in any RV-A model. I have an -8A. I'm surprised some insurance companies still haven't figured out that and RV-6A is virtually identical to the RV-7A and flies the same as an RV-8A.

6a vs 7a Insurance

If you could have your insurance agent call me I will try to straighten them out on this. I have been doing this for 17 years and all insurance companies that i know of have always accepted the 6A for all A model Rvs. Thanks for reponding Jenny. Mike

Michael Seager
Vans transition trainer for 17 years
536 1st ave
Vernonia Oregon 97064

503 429 5103

Steve,

Keep talking to your insurance company. Mine wanted 3 hours in an RV-9 and with the very limited of RV-9's flying, that wasn't going to happen. After a long discussion they eventually said I could do the time in any side-by-side taildragger RV.

Also, did they want dual or time in type? There is a big difference. My insurance company wanted time in type so I flew with a friend who is not a CFI.

If you could have your insurance agent call me I will try to straighten them out on this. I have been doing this for 17 years and all insurance companies that i know of have always accepted the 6A for all A model Rvs. Thanks for reponding Jenny. Mike

503 429 5103

Thanks guys. After discussing this again with my agent and passing along your information they went back to AIG and they agreed that the 6A was fine. Most of Travers business is with certificated aircraft but I think they are doing more experimental policies now. This is the same group that worked with Dana when "Black Magic" got damaged so I was a little surprised when this came up.

All is well with the world again. Now to get back to work preparing for my FSDO airworthiness inspection next week.

Steve,

Also, did they want dual or time in type? There is a big difference. My insurance company wanted time in type so I flew with a friend who is not a CFI.

They agreed to RV-6A time but they want dual with an instructor. I will get another five hours in type flying down to Pierre's place and back with my hangar mate in his RV-7. I tried to get her to let me use a couple of hours of airborne RV-7 PIC airtime for the remaining two hours but it has to be with an instructor. I stopped while I was ahead. I will be covered for first flight so I am a happy camper.

Back