What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

External Connection for Battery Charging/Jump Starting

asw20c

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if any of you guys have a clever idea for how to charge the battery without removing the cowling? I have an external socket on my Cessna 180 that has a special (massive) set of jumper cables that plugs in externally so someone can can pull up next to me in a car/truck and give me a jump start if the battery dies or if I leave the master on. Has anyone done something similar for their RV for both external jumpstarting and/or charging?

On my 7 I used powerwerx (Anderson) connectors. I connected one that could be reached through the oil door. Several adapters are used, 1 - for jumping 2 - for charging/power supply connection. I have smaller connectors on the charger and power supply ends.

One is advised to put the connector where it can be seen through the oil door. I have to search a little for mine.

The jump adapter can carry 100 amps for 1 min. I am assuming it would not be completely dead :) A calculated risk.

Last edited:
I used a simple molex connector that is accessible tgrough the oil door. Goes direct to batt with inline 15 amp fuse. Just be sure to use a connector with well buried pins or can be capped

The jump adapter can carry 100 amps for 1 min. I am assuming it would not be completely dead :) A calculated risk.

That may be a bad assumption to make, the higher voltage source will supply the current. Starters can draw significantly more than 100A.

Agree, not fool proof.

That may be a bad assumption to make, the higher voltage source will supply the current. Starters can draw significantly more than 100A.

Thanks for pointing that out, Walt. It is an operation limitation that must be known, and assessed on site for the situation.

The battery voltage during starting on a fully charged odyssey will drop low enough to capture assistance from a weak battery and share the load. The assessment has to be made at time of start determine if the battery weak or dead. Weak, ok, jump, dead, needs charging. Charging method optional.

While I'll stick with my statement of "a calculated risk" as it avoided having to select a much larger connector and wires (and added weight), in the interest of full disclosure, I have not tested to quantify how many amp-seconds this "design" would actually carry before exceeding temperature limits.

External jump p

I installed a Piper female plug under my panel on passenger side. I have an emergency auto jumper battery like they sell at most Costco or over the internet that I carry anytime that I am going on a trip and I modified the battery cables on the jumper to connect a male Piper plug. With this setup I can jump my I0360 from the cockpit by leaning over and plugging the male into the female without anyone getting near the prop. I have done this on two occasions when I inadvertently left a switch on so the battery was dead the next day. After the engine starts, simply remove the plug and hopefully the alternator will pickup the load. I also have a battery tender that came with a pigtail that I mount to the odyssey that fits through the oil door.

Back