What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Hair Is On Fire!

Plumbmaster

While I'm here, a progress report:

After buying this plane in June of 2018, I have amassed 130 hours. With the help of other experienced RV owners (one claiming to being the fastest RV6 in California), I have learned to recover from spins, perform loops, rolls and Cuban Eights.

I've got to say-I'm regularly doing 168 knots straight and level which gets me from point A to point B very quickly. When I do my "lap around the track" which is a local flight around the Napa area, I hit ground speeds of up to 200 knots. After I land and end up in Costco an hour later with my wife, the thought that comes to mind is "wow I was just going 230 mph".

It's like your hair is on fire!

, I hit ground speeds of up to 200 knots. After I land and end up in Costco an hour later with my wife, the thought that comes to mind is "wow I was just going 230 mph".

Be very careful here! You are above VNE, unless you had a tailwind of course.

Last edited:
Woohoo!!!

Amazing performance from these airplanes!

I am building a 160 hp -6 that will have basically the same engine as my Skyhawk. Amazing the speed on the same power.

As to the previous two replies: No worries about Vne at 168 knots and the 200kts / 230 mph was ground speed, not IAS or TAS.

Groundspeed Indeed And A Dive To Boot

Thanks for the replies, Yes it is groundspeed ("is" because it happens quite regularly) and yes at one point in the"lap" I maintain throttle and prop settings and descend at 500 fpm. Remember, this is about walking around Costco with my hair on fire, not necessarily a discussion on the plane's performance!

Fun Fact: My fastest groundspeed to date? 256 mph!

Fun Fact #2: I find it impossible to not tell my wife how fast I just went while walking around Cosco! :-0

One time I must have said it 5-6 times :-0

Every time I land after flying around near 200mph and some yahoo on the street speeds past me in a souped-up Honda Civic going about 60mph I laugh to myself.

TAS? IAS? What is that stuff? :D

One evening last winter I was blowing through the KMSP class Bravo airspace at 268 mph over the dirt. ATC asked just what type of Experimental I was flying! My highest ground speed to date.

St. Cloud to East Troy, WI in 1 hour 15 minutes flat! HUUUUUUUUGE grin on my face that night!

Last edited:
Where do you guys find tailwinds. Every where I go I face head winds? Turn around and head back, the wind has changed and yet another head wind.

TAS? IAS? What is that stuff? :D

One evening last winter I was blowing through the KMSP class Bravo airspace at 268 mph over the dirt. ATC asked just what type of Experimental I was flying! My highest ground speed to date.

St. Cloud to East Troy, WI in 1 hour 15 minutes flat! HUUUUUUUUGE grin on my face that night!

Roger that. For a short period we become immortal. Then back to Earth again!

Yes, back to earth when the return trip with the head wind at Piper Cub ground speeds. Of coarse take note the Cub is probably flying backwards in that head wind.

Last edited:
Happy Wife

Fact #2: I find it impossible to not tell my wife how fast I just went while walking around Cosco! :-0

One time I must have said it 5-6 times :-0[/QUOTE]

Our wives definitely put up with alot. Haha

Don't know what everyone else sees but I am 168 Knots TAS at 9 GPM at 9500 MSL at 2300 turns. Mine is a 7 with 195 HP CSP. A lot faster than my Husky
just not as safe.

Back