What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doug, and forum members...

txaviator

Well Known Member
I found the article on "how to post photos" very concise, and now I find it extremely easy to do.

One thing I have figured out, is that when using Image Shack, for whatever reasons, their servers seem to "like" jpg images, more than any other format. I know they say they can host numerous types of images, however, the jpg's seem to upload easier, and without problems.

By the way, if any of you are like me, you original images may be HUGE. I am still figuring out my new camera, and the photos I have taken are much too big for Image Shack to host. If you don't have a good photo editor, do a search in your Internet browser for "Irfanview". Download the free software. It is a fantastic, free, program which allows you to easily and quickly resize your digital images. I have no affiliation with them, but the program has worked very well for me.

Thanks for posting the latest tutorial on images. Hopefully everyone without their own hosting website will now start posting away!

Thanks Gary.

I've used Infraview also, but have lately fallen hard for the Google program 'Picasa' (free also). I've yet to find a program better suited for getting through the 100 pictures taken to find the 5 that are keepers. It resizes, color corrects, exports in the size you want, etc like a dream.

Standard disclaimer (no affiliation). Go to Google and click on 'More' - a link to Picasa is in the lower right corner. Perfect for cropping and resizing dozens of images in about ten seconds.

B,

Doug: Camera / Photo Questions

Doug,

I am shooting my new Canon in "large" photo mode. Is this what you do? The clarity is incredible, but the photos are obviously huge.

Once you go into the photo editing software, is there a standard dimension that you type in, such as "x-width by x-width", or "so many pixels by some many pixels"? Something you do as a standard, to be uniform in your photo sizes? Otherwise, I can see how going through hundreds of photos can take hours.?

Also, any other Canon Rebel hints you can throw my way would be much appreciated! I am loving this new camera!.....but like anything, there are ten-billion settings that are possible.........if you know of shortcuts or helpful Canon-specific info, that would be great.

Thanks!

Hey Gary,
I shoot in 'medium' format - each pic is about 1.3MB and I can 'crop' the best image out of the availble image. I do this all in Picasa and use its 'export' feature to push the ten our so out of a hundred that I want to present in the dimensions I want (in other words, I never touch the size until the export)

Tips, huh? OK, put in in 'TV' mode (time value) and turn the wheel to '250' to tell the shutter to shoot at 1/250th of a second. That will give a nice prop blur in air to air work. Can result in blurry images in bumpy air, so take a couple dozen <g>.

B,

txaviator said:
Doug,

I am shooting my new Canon in "large" photo mode. Is this what you do? The clarity is incredible, but the photos are obviously huge.

Once you go into the photo editing software, is there a standard dimension that you type in, such as "x-width by x-width", or "so many pixels by some many pixels"? Something you do as a standard, to be uniform in your photo sizes? Otherwise, I can see how going through hundreds of photos can take hours.?

Also, any other Canon Rebel hints you can throw my way would be much appreciated! I am loving this new camera!.....but like anything, there are ten-billion settings that are possible.........if you know of shortcuts or helpful Canon-specific info, that would be great.

Thanks!

Doug.....

On the Rebel, there are two "medium modes". I haven't studied up on the huge instruction book yet, to distinguish between the two. Do you use the first Medium Mode, or the next one down?

Thanks!

I use the 'top' medium mode. I do the final export in Picasa2 down to 800 pixels wide in a batch export, re-sizing all the images I want to keep in one swoop.

B,

Thanks, Doug! I figure I will be taking MANY photos this weekend, so I am trying to dial everything in.

See you in the morning????? (@ Midway)?

Web Photo Sizes

txaviator:
Once you go into the photo editing software, is there a standard dimension that you type in, such as "x-width by x-width", or "so many pixels by some many pixels"? Something you do as a standard, to be uniform in your photo sizes?
I may be able to give some advice.. here is some guidelines from my experience..

The size of photos for the web depends on what you want to show, and how want to you use it.

1) Typically photos for the web are 640 x 480 pixels (w x h)
2) If you have many photos in one post then make them smaller 400 x 300 pixels each
3) If you have photo which you really need to show detail make it 800 x 600 pixels

Kind Regards
Rudi

make it clickable

The best is to put something of a "reasonable" size, like 800x600, and make the image "clickable" so that you can see the full size. It's a bit more work, but worth it, IMHO.

Back