What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sliders Rule!

Tip Ups are tops!

:cool: Sliders are cool on the ground but the tip up keeps you from thinking you are looking out of a (very fast) Piper 140. ;) George

Slider for me...

I thought long and hard about the choice of canopy type. I put all my thoughts into this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/TipSlide.htm

The bottom half of the page shows a guy who has done it BOTH ways since he built TWO RV-9A aircraft. Pictures included from Oshkosh of both airplanes.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A 90622
N2PZ www.n2prise.org

Slider Tip-up pros cons

One builder has a nice chart, self-dialog explaining his choice, thought it was "fair and balance." In the end it is a personal choice, both are winners in my book, any RV is a good RV:

http://www.n2prise.org/TipSlide.htm

The categories/winner(?): (envelope please) :D

Visibility (Tip-up)
Entry (Neither)
Ventilation-Taxi (Slider)
Baggage loading (Neither) (with modification slider could be superior)
Access to panel instruments (Tip-up) (with modification slider is OK)
Ease of construction (??) (never ending debate)
Safety (??) (again argued forever, fixed screen may be better for bird strike)

He admits, this will be a never-ending debate that it is :eek:

His final decision to go slider was based on actually getting in and out of different RV's and modifications to improve short falls of the slider canopy.

The two RV?s he tried were both built by the same guy, one RV-9A tip & the other RV-9A slider. It was obvious to him, a large framed guy; it was easier to get in and out of the slider in an "A" model configuration. I guess if you are smaller and more limber this is not an issue in either canopy configuration. Also he beefed up the arm-rest to assist in egress.

The negatives of the slider: panel access and baggage loading, he felt can be overcome with modifications:

The modular removable panel sections mitigate the access to instruments. Also some use exterior access panel?s fwd of the wind-screen for access just behind the firewall.

The after market mod that allows a slider canopy to tip-up at the back for loading and unloading of baggage, looks like it would allow easier loading than a tip-up. http://www.aircraftextras.com/Tip-Up-Slider1.htm

I went with the slider on my RV-7, even though the tip-up has better visibility and may be a little easier to build and seal. My old RV-4 had a tip-over canopy and it worked great and loved the view. It was not an easy decision to give the view up. The best way is try both, fly them if possible. I sat in a RV-7 slider on the ground for a while. I found the roll bar not obtrusive. It is way way better than any other aircraft (other than the RV-4) I have flown. (Some builder web sites have videos shot from inside the cockpit in flight; this may give you an idea of the view w/ a roll bar.)

I also thought the slider may be more rugged, at least when opening in a strong wind. Of course "It looks cool" is often a reason mentioned for one's choice. I guess that is as good a reason as any.

Cheers G RV-4, RV-7 slider (project) :)

I like the tip up/slider thing. It will make it easier to put my little pudgy 50# dog into the back of the plane!

He is my co-pilot!

;) CJ

Dog in the baggage area?

Are you sure he will stay back there and not try to crawl up front? If he does, you better be sure the passenger joy stick is safely stowed away.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
90622 N2PZ
Avionics working!!!

another vote for the slider!!!!!!!!

while doing my inspection this week i realized an advantage for the slider. when you take it off to do your inspection the access to the rear area is a piece a cake. sit on the cross piece and go at it, remove screws and inspect. she looks real cool to. convertible. love dem rvs. i always log an extra month by picking up the 1st of the next month after it is due.

Back