What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10 EMS

dvalle

Well Known Member
Just bought a new one...amazed that Dynon doesn't know the answers to my questions when I KNOW MANY RV's use their products. Betting BIG bucks many of you know the answers. Before I start, they told me all should work with D10, now that I have the unit, they do not really know??
1) Using a Slick Mag sensor from MicroSystems, will it work and, if so, which wire(s) are used on the sensor and which pins on D10).
2) Similar question on the fuel gages. I have standard Van's gages and want to use the D10. The Van's has three wires (G, I, S on gage), what pins do you use on the D10?

Again, I'm in amazement...they've been selling for ages and do not know this information...it boggles my mind....

Thanks
Dan

Just bought a new one...amazed that Dynon doesn't know the answers to my questions when I KNOW MANY RV's use their products. Betting BIG bucks many of you know the answers. Before I start, they told me all should work with D10, now that I have the unit, they do not really know??
1) Using a Slick Mag sensor from MicroSystems, will it work and, if so, which wire(s) are used on the sensor and which pins on D10). Left, pin 32. Right, pin 33.
2) Similar question on the fuel gages. I have standard Van's gages and want to use the D10. The Van's has three wires (G, I, S on gage), what pins do you use on the D10? Left tank, pin 20. Right tank, pin 21.

Again, I'm in amazement...they've been selling for ages and do not know this information...it boggles my mind....
Thanks
Dan

EMS-D10 Install guide is listed on their website.

Install Guide

Even though I'm an engineer:), I checked the manual. It does not say....
I know there are a lot of Dynon D10's out there in RV's, just hoping someone would recall.

Thanks

Pin to use....

Just noticed your add to my note, yes, the info you provided is in the manual. Unfortunately, connecting one of three wires to one pin is the question. I know one is a ground, which of the others do I use or not use?

Thanks

Just noticed your add to my note, yes, the info you provided is in the manual. Unfortunately, connecting one of three wires to one pin is the question. I know one is a ground, which of the others do I use or not use?
Thanks

The "G" is ground. "I" is for ignition. "S" is for sender. The sender wire should be connected to the Dynon.

should dynon know the pinouts of every sensor and gauge out there that they dont make? seems to me that is a question to ask the gauge manufacturer, what wires are what on their part.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

Wire connection....

Mel-thanks for the help...assuming you are talking about the fuel gauge and not the tach. Assuming you also are saying the other wire is not connected to the dynon at all?

Bob-I suppose you are right but honestly, it would be in their best interest to know. I'm guessing there are more Dynon's on RV's than other makes of aircraft and it would be very easy for them to get the information? And, on the engine tach question, I'm thinking there are more Lycoming engines connected to Dynon that any others too??

If you use mags, why not just use the standard p-lead pickup? That works great and is simple to wire.

What Van's fuel gauges have 3 wires! Don't they all just have a screw point for the single wire from the D10 for fuel level?

Mel-thanks for the help...assuming you are talking about the fuel gauge and not the tach. Assuming you also are saying the other wire is not connected to the dynon at all?
Bob-I suppose you are right but honestly, it would be in their best interest to know. I'm guessing there are more Dynon's on RV's than other makes of aircraft and it would be very easy for them to get the information? And, on the engine tach question, I'm thinking there are more Lycoming engines connected to Dynon that any others too??

The gauge needs power. That is the "I" terminal. The "G" terminal is for ground. The Dynon already has power and ground so you will not need these wires to the Dynon. Move the "S" (sender) wire to the Dynon. Left tank to pin 20 and right tank to pin 21.

Wiring to Dynon

Thanks VERY much Mel....

On the other question, I don't know the part numbers but they say "Van's" right on the gauge. On the mags, I just thought much easier to install the sensor on the mag rather than installing the resisters at the wires at the switch (in the cockpit-per the install manual)?? Did you install at the P leads and use resistor?

Use the P leads at the switch

Install the recommended (or slightly larger) resistors in line with the wire to the Dynon --- I found that to be the easiest solution when I wired up my EMS120.

I ended up using a 44K? vs the recommended 33K? resistors as that was all Radio Shack had, at the time. Anything larger might slow down response time on the tach, during a mag check.

Ron

VM RPM Mag Sensor

Dan,

You may have already figured this out, but just in case:
The VMS Slick mag RPM sensor is a hall effect unit, i.e. it senses the passing of the magetic poles of the permanent magnet in the magneto. It has 3 wires (red=+5V DC excitation, white=pulsed signal output, black=-5V DC ground) which have to be correctly connected to the engine information system for good indications.

I'm not familiar with the inputs/outputs of the EMC-D10, but the VMS RPM sensor needs a regulated 5V DC excitation voltage from the unit and the sensor will output a pulsed square wave with frequency proportional to the RPM.

Hope this helps,
Reggie

Back