What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

perfect rivet, nuts and bolts storage?

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Spent all day yesterday driving around town trying to find the perfect storage solution for all the RV fasteners. Even went to the zen of all storage places, The Container Store, but found nothing that really stands out.

Has anyone found a great storage solution?

First I thought a bunch of those cheap Glad "Take Along" small bowls (8 for $1.99 or something like that) would be ideal - they are similar to baby food jars. But holding all those bowls with somewhat of an odd shape isn't that easy. Couldn't find anything that would carry/store a bunch of bowls. Nor could I find plain baby food jars... without resorting to eating 50 jars of yummy blended peas.

Then I ended up getting 3 Stanley Pro Organizers from Lowes. They have removable compartments which is cool but they have no lid. No fun when you have to pick up 400 3/32 rivets.

Thanks for any and all ideas!
Scott
7A QB

Just get one of those racks that have a bunch of small sliding trays. I found that a container that you have to open a lid causes all kinds of trouble. When you mess up its all your rivets not just one size. Also get a small tray and put just enough rivets in it so you don't spill the whole lot while working.

I've never had to pick up a bunch of rivets, I have swept them up though :)

Perfect Rivets,Nuts & Bolts Storage

I use a couple of the 60 drawer plastic storage units. Rivets are labeled on front of drawer in ascending order and styles are seperate. Bolts ,nuts , pop rivets , etc. the same way. Take a drawer or two along to the work location and just be careful to not spill - picking up AND sorting is exasperating.

Bob Olds RV-4 ( Twice )

I use the small drawer units as well. Easy to pull out a bolt here and there, easy to remove a whole drawer of rivets to take over to the work area. I admit I have had a few spills, but I'd rather suffer through picking up a few rivets than dealing with a lid.

I started with one unit on the empennage, added a unit for the wings, and added another unit for the fuselage. It's also very easy to reorganize drawers to keep all the rivets in one area, bolts in another, etc.

Dave

IMG_3575.jpg

Last edited:
I use 2 different types of boxes. For bolts and pop rivets I use something like this: Parts Bins

For rivets I use: Tilt Bins

The tilt bins work great for taking the bins of rivets to the bench with you, and you can select different sizes depending on the volume of goods you need to store. The holders mount on the wall, or can be stand alone.

Last edited:
Just FYI, you can insert the actual pic if you want of the bins. Look for the yellow square with a mountain drawn in it when you are composing the message. You probably knew this, but in case you didn't...

58221-lg.jpg

akarmy said:
I use 2 different types of boxes. For bolts and pop rivets I use something like this: Parts Bins

For rivets I use: Tilt Bins

The tilt bins work great for taking the bins of rivets to the bench with you, and you can select different sizes depending on the volume of goods you need to store. The holders mount on the wall, or can be stand alone.

Back