Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
As it happens, just last week I spoke to a Lycoming contact regarding the no-graphite prohibition in SI 1042AH. Can't share details (management likes everything vetted via official channels), but I can say the rationale would not apply to the interface between an auto plug and a brass or bronze adapter.

That said, I use copper base on the auto plug, and have seen no reason to quit. I'm not the only fella who ignores the NGK advice to install bare. For example, Honda specifies anti-seize for quite a few of their automobiles.

BTW, my bottle of antiseize dates back to VW beetles and airhead BMWs. Check out this instruction from a 1972 VW manual:
Dan,

Iíd be really interested in what Lycoming says, if they ever decide to make it public.

Also, cool info from the VW manual! Wasnít in my version of the Hayes manual for my 74 superbeetle. I donít recall anything about plug thread lube/anti-seize in there. But, back then Iím not sure I knew what any of that stuff was. Good times.
Phase II - 5/19/14
Old 05-28-2022, 04:22 PM

Hi All,

I have not been able to get back online to see the responses until now...work happens.

It does seem that people are often amazed at the depth of my ignorance.

I was using the aluminum anti-seize because it is pointed out in the Light Speed manual.

I think the strategy moving forward will be to brush off the caked on material from the spark plug threads and then just go without the "lube" and see how that goes.

As always...Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans101 View Post

I was using the aluminum anti-seize because it is pointed out in the Light Speed manual.
All I see in the LSE manuals is to use an anti-seize, without a specific one being called out.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:36 PM

>All I see in the LSE manuals is to use an anti-seize, without a specific one being called out.

Before this thread I thought that there was only one...the aluminum type that gets everywhere.