What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KX-155A display

blaplante

Well Known Member
I picked up, cheap, a KX-155A (hoping to upgrade from my KX-155 w/o GS).

OK, it was listed as-is... interesting thing, no display, I thought at first. Found that with a bright light shining on it, I can see the numbers. It seems to be functional except for the display, and it appears that it has the LCD display upgrade that B/K has been offering, not the original Gas. Part numbers on the box are 069-01032-0101 (as expected) *and* 069-01032-9900 (which I can't seem to decode).

It looks like the backlight on the LCD is dead.
With some digging I found that part 037-05105-0001 is the old gas display, and might run somewhere in the 300 to 700 dollar range. I found one item on the web that says the new LCD display costs $1333 as a part, and the B/K referb program will install the replacement display for $1750.

Well, I can't see dropping $1750 onto this thing. $1333 for the LCD part (anyone have that part number?) and installing it myself also goes beyond what I'd like to invest. Anyone know my options? Can I just backgrade the LCD display with the Gas one (assuming I can find one), is that plug & play?

Anyone know what backlighting the LCD used? cold cathod florescent or LED?

Oh, BTW many say the CDS light sensor tends to go bad, and everything is dim unless you shine a very bright light at the CDS sensor. Tried that, no joy. Also measured resistance of the CDS sensor with and without light and its reasonable.

Help me with my new paperweight! Thanks.

The KX-155A is a different beast than the KX-155, as you've discovered, and the displays are not interchangeable AFAIK. You might give Bevan Rabell a call regarding repair of the unit; they fixed up my KX-155 earlier this year I couldn't have been happier with their service or pricing.

Display-Thankyou Bendix King

Yeah, you were taken for a ride. I also have a nearly new G/S unit with display out. Best for you to find another good deal on one with a working display...maybe with something else not working?

KX-155 Photoresistor

We have a KX-155a that we keep in the shop for monitoring. The display dimming has gotten to the point where it is OK in daylight but is unreadable in dim light. I understand that this is probably the photo resistor (photo cell) having degraded.

This unit has the gas discharge (plasma) display.

I have found a Bendix/King(?) part number of 134-05005-0002 for the part but when I perform a search for a source I have been getting, "out of stock" or quotes that are in the $1K to $2K range.

CdS photoresistors like the one in the radio are still being manufactured so there must be an replacement that is readily available with the correct light / dark resistance specifications that could be used and at a reasonable price.

Does anyone here have a source for the replacement part or have the resistance range so I can run a search for an alternate?

-larosta

Last edited:
KX155A

Yes, I have a KX155A that has a good display(not LCD) so it may never match up in connections? This one I bought has a transmit/receive problem and I just don't want to work on it due to the surface mount stuff. Have some experience with it but not enough "tools" to do it. I do have the manual but still won't work on it.
The 155 is old stuff and usually easy....

I wonder if the photocell circuit(155A) is the same as before(155), probably not considering it is a different display. The 155 has a dimmer adjust circuit.....

Well, if I can help by looking something up........

John

Don't give up hope

Our KX155 recently had a display failure. Started looking for used radios that would be slide in replacement, or new Garmin radios. Decided to take it to an avionics shop before I spent a lot of money.

Not sure what the problem was, but it only cost $150 to get it back working.

Several years back (11), I had a KX-155 in my C-182. Part of the display went dim and I took it to a local avionics shop and they replaced the glass display thingy. It took less than an hour and cost $90. Probably the best deal ever. Dan from Reno

Back