What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do we have any high time RV airframes out there?

What is considered high time in an airframe?

Doing a Google search, some people think anything over 6,000 hours and others think over 10,000 hours.

After 2,198.9 Hobbs hours since 20 September 1997, I do not consider my airframe high time. I feel like it is just getting to the point that it is a proven airframe.

I think "Old Blue" (Van's original RV-6A prototype that is still used for transition training) has rolled past 4500 hours "tach" time.

high time RVs

Scott, You stole my thunder. 666RV does indeed have over 4500 hours on it. 477RV has been in service for just 4 years and has over 1800 hours on it. Mike

high time airframes

I would think that RV-6 164MS must have close to 3000 hours by now i put the first 780 hours on it in less than 2 years. Mike

Who you calling old, Pop?

I would think that RV-6 164MS must have close to 3000 hours by now i put the first 780 hours on it in less than 2 years. Mike

Alas, my other owners have failed to fly me with the same diligence that you gave. In fact, there have been a few pretty long spells when I had to sit in the dark alone....neglected. :mad: (But, I wouldn't want to make you feel guilty.) Thankfully, Louise (with a little help from Paul) has been ensuring regular exercise and care. But, I've only put on a little over 2450 (tach) hours.

Your loving son.....

Last edited:
Mikey response

Louise, I figured i could get a rise out of you. From the posts you make sounds like you are having fun with it. Best of Luck Mike

not too many high time RVs

Paul, There haven't been a lot of posts, which would lead me to believe that that there are not a lot of real high time RVs, Yours may be the second highest compared to 666RV. Mike

closing in on the 4,000 hr mark!!!!!!!!!!

Ed, when you get to 4000 hours, would you please post your list of issues that you have had in the past 4000 hours. I think it will show what an amazing aircraft the RV's are. Well, at least the model that you have.

Having owned a C-150 and a Warrior, each one with many issues I must say that my 6A has been bullet proof.

there is no real surprises here to the rv community. it is a plane, it is not perfect but i would not trade it for much else. i am happy maintaining it. lots of it in the last 12 years. :)

Back