What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A and soft, soggy grass

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
If I get evicted from my hangar due to airport construction, one possibility is a nearby grass strip. As you can guess from the title, the ground can be less than firm... It would be easy enough to put bigger tires on the mains and abandon the wheel pants, but a bigger nose wheel means new fork, etc., etc.

Anybody done this? I'm thinking that this could turn into a really big project...

If I get evicted from my hangar due to airport construction, one possibility is a nearby grass strip. As you can guess from the title, the ground can be less than firm... It would be easy enough to put bigger tires on the mains and abandon the wheel pants, but a bigger nose wheel means new fork, etc., etc.

Anybody done this? I'm thinking that this could turn into a really big project...

When ugly wet, no fly. Otherwise, you’ll fly more there than stuck in hangar. Just my 2cents worth.

Be careful, a buddy lost his 9a on a soggy grass strip. Nose gear dug in on landing and flipped over.

I hear good things about using 380x150x5 tires on the mains, don’t know if they fit inside the nose fork though.

Wheels for grass

I researched this a bit because I fly off a grass strip (and still building the RV-6A).

I recall there was a post on VAF by someone who put on a bigger nose wheel fork, maybe it was a -10 part. Obviously it will need a new nosewheel pant and probably affect W&B.

The mains can take 380x150-5 tires and retain the wheel pants by increasing clearance at the sides, provided that the pants were originally fitted with enough space on top.

My grass strip has had 9A, 6A, 7A, and 6 on it without any problems during most conditions. After days of heavy rain though the soil can get saturated and it is too soft for any aircraft to use. It dries out after 3 or 4 days of fine weather. I think bigger tires on the mains would help a bit for smoothness in all conditions.

There's not much advantage for tail wheel aircraft because the tail wheel is so small and narrow, it is like a plough. With the -A models and the stick held back during taxi and roll there is reduced pressure on the surface from the nose wheel.

Does the whole strip get soft/soggy? My grass strip gets soft/soggy in a couple of places. I avoid or go slow over these areas and continue to use the strip.

Fin
9A

I hear good things about using 380x150x5 tires on the mains, don’t know if they fit inside the nose fork though.

I have modified a couple 7/8A forks to fit 500x5 tires. A very big job involving cutting & welding longer forks on an existing fork, or highly modifying a 10 fork, I wouldn't recommend doing either... not worth the effort IMO.
I'd better suggest pick dry days to go flying & not risk the ship.

Back