What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Baja Design Squadron Pro

ERushing

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing the Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED lights into the Duckworks leading edge kit for my RV-10.

For those who have gone before me - a couple questions on wiring them:
1) Did you ground locally or back at the firewall? For those flying - any evidence of noise for either method?
2) Did you use the included connector or cut/ splice the wires?

Thank you for your help!

BTW - the finish kit arrives tomorrow!! Time for more fiberglass fun!

Eric - I cut and used quick connects for future maintenance. I grounded locally. quiet as a whisper!!! No issues, awesome lights!!!!

I'm in the process of installing the Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED lights into the Duckworks leading edge kit for my RV-10.

For those who have gone before me - a couple questions on wiring them:
1) Did you ground locally or back at the firewall? For those flying - any evidence of noise for either method?
2) Did you use the included connector or cut/ splice the wires?

Thank you for your help!

BTW - the finish kit arrives tomorrow!! Time for more fiberglass fun!

I have Squadron Pros in the Duckworks "blank" leading edge kits, in both wings on my 10. I created a grounding block in both wingtips for a few things that I have out there. I do ground my Squadrons at that local ground. No noise difference between the lights on or off. (I do have some slight noise from my primary, but not secondary, alternator... but that's a different story).

I did use the included connector, and spliced into the supplied "pigtail".

Grounding Block (for BajaDesigns, Pitot, etc):
TfzSSfbl.jpg

Shot of connector hiding in the wing, secured by an adel clamp inside the last rib:
OWNLrLMl.jpg

Eric - I cut and used quick connects for future maintenance. I grounded locally. quiet as a whisper!!! No issues, awesome lights!!!!

Same thing here.

No noise at all. I grounded the lights locally according to AC34-13b and there were no problems whatsoever!

If only everything else were so easy!

:) CJ

I created a grounding block in both wingtips for a few things that I have out there. I do ground my Squadrons at that local ground.

Grounding Block (for BajaDesigns, Pitot, etc):
TfzSSfbl.jpg

Is this ground to the local airframe only or are you running a ground wire back to your main firewall ground from here?

Local ground, unshielded wire, no noise issues. These lights are great! I get comments all the time from the controllers how bright they are from miles away.
IMG_4900-M.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to go off-thread.

Which lights are you using? I'd guess one spot and one "wide cornering"? I also see Pro or Pro-R, and Flush Mount vs Normal.

Thanks!

I'm using two of the Squadron Pro Spots, one in each wing. I'm going to put taxi lights in the wingtips for ground ops. I haven't decided on those quite yet.

BTW - cutting into the wingtips was a little bit un-nerving. But it was a lot less drama than I expected. A careful hand with the dremel and cutoff wheel to ~1/8" or so of the line and then some careful sanding with 2" and 1" drums on my angle grinder followed by the small scotch brite wheel in the angle grinder produced really good results in not a lot of time.

Last edited:
Which shape unit are you guys using? There is a flush-mount option and a non, and also a round one.

I'm using the flush mount. If you do, Baja provides an outline to cut out the hole for the light. If I had to do it over again, I would have goes a bit more inside the lines and made the hole slightly smaller and then sanded to fit. As it is, it's fine but I'm not entirely comfortable with the edge distance for the holes that will secure the light in the frame. It's not a structural piece so no worries... I would just like that extra 1/16" back :)

Baja Designs

I just installed the BD spot 4500 lumens in each of my wing tips. These jokers are bright with minimal current draw. LOVE THEM. Wig wags installed at the same time.... with these puppies "wagging" I feel it's a dramatic increase in safety! I grounded locally and used shielded wire to the lights from the switch. Happy to report there is no, none, zip radio noise!

Here is a link to a short video of my lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76HUNLuYrJE&t=4s

Last edited:
I too went with the Spot pattern.

I tested the Baja's agains the Whelen PARmetheus (don't recall which version the PARmetheus was, but it was the brightest ones they had in December of 2014).

Here is one of the Baja Squadrons:
5Qr5Dx3l.jpg

The garage door is 260' away, and the trees behind the house are 420'.

For comparison, here is the PARmetheus from the same location:
jt8ChTFl.jpg

Disclaimer!!! I'm not judging one light over the other for anyone other than myself. This was a quick and dirty, very non-scientific test. The pictures were taken with an iphone. Interestingly enough, the Baja photo's settings were (F/2.2, exp-1/15s, iso1000) and the Whelen's settings were (F/2.2, exp-1/15s, iso2000). There are pros and cons to every choice, blah, blah, blah, yadda yadda.

I felt that the Whelens were a much tighter beam with less "leakage", but I also felt that the Baja Designs were quite a bit brighter overall.

Last edited:
Leds

I see that Duckworks is no longer selling their LED lights. Is this what everyone is doing instead?

I see that Duckworks is no longer selling their LED lights. Is this what everyone is doing instead?

They still sell an upgrade LED kit below the one that has been discontinued.

Anyone try this yet? I currently have the 55w halogen but they are sorely lacking. This looks to be an easy upgrade.

Eric,
I grounded them back to the firewall, but then again, I ground everything back the firewall. I did mine in the wingtips (a custom install I modified from someone else's original idea). These things are dead quiet. No noise what so ever.
And yes, like others have said, I hear you can see me coming from miles out. If my wife is waiting at the hangar, she can easily tell which plane is ours since they are so bright.
(Incidentally, I also use those lights on my dirt bike and have beat them senseless riding in Baja, and they never even flinch)

BD Squadron Pro

I just installed the BD spot 4500 lumens in each of my wing tips. These jokers are bright with minimal current draw. LOVE THEM. Wig wags installed at the same time.... with these puppies "wagging" I feel it's a dramatic increase in safety! I grounded locally and used shielded wire to the lights from the switch. Happy to report there is no, none, zip radio noise!

Hi Paul
The lights in that video are insanely bright!
I plan on going that route and am wondering what you used for a flasher and how it was wired.
Thanks.
Cliff, RV9A, no-hole T/U
Wiring
Chase, BC

This is a seriously bright light, very nice setup. I wonder how mine fare out compare to these. Mine are rated at 11000 Lumens but have never seen them myself (obviously) as how bright they are in the air. Once I asked my wife to look in general direction of my flight towards the airport and see how far back she can spot me as I was reporting my distance on the radio. She said she could spot me 8 miles out, I need to see that to believe it :)

I have been trying to correlate this discussion to the actual products on Squadron's product page, so bear with me:

Which Baja product do you recommend to replace my 50W Duckworth HIDs? Mine are the round lights, one in each wing, and they're both the same product. However, I use the left light as a landing light (replace with a spot?) and the right one for taxi light (a spot/flood?).

Based on the wattage of your existing lights, the 42W Squadron Pro with 4,900 lumen each should work. I am installing mine in the tips, but I think there are other options on the forum that address LED's suitable for installation in the leading edge recess that may save you from having to make adjustment fixtures for the Baja lights.
Tom.

Regarding Lenses - they are replaceable/avilable

I have been trying to correlate this discussion to the actual products on Squadron's product page, so bear with me:

Which Baja product do you recommend to replace my 50W Duckworth HIDs? Mine are the round lights, one in each wing, and they're both the same product. However, I use the left light as a landing light (replace with a spot?) and the right one for taxi light (a spot/flood?).

I have a hard time deciding without eyeball data, so I got the lights with the lower two LEDs diffused/upper clear and purchased extra lenses that are all clear (spot). They will be mounted in the tips so will see what works best. Pretty easy to swap the lenses. Not too expensive either.

Thanks, but I'm really trying to figure out if the round Squadron Pros will fit into the mounting bracket that currently houses the round Duckworth bulbs, or will it require modification? If so, am I smart to go with the square units?

Wig-wag module

Which wig-wag module did you use.

I'm planning on using a simple solid state flasher since 2 BD squadron sports are going to be installed next to each other.

Don't want to create noise issues though.

Thanks !

Which wig-wag module did you use.

I'm planning on using a simple solid state flasher since 2 BD squadron sports are going to be installed next to each other.

Don't want to create noise issues though.

Thanks !

I forget the part number; got it on Amazon. However, the three wire resistive type will not work. Need the solid state four wire version (three lugs and a ground wire). No noise from mine, at least not with the engine running.

Larry

Would this work ?

Stop-Alert WigWagger 72 Electronic Wig Wag Alternating Flasher Relay - Waterproof Universal Emergency Police Ambulance Car Controller LED Strobe Light Box Kit- Compatible 12-24V

I forget the part number; got it on Amazon. However, the three wire resistive type will not work. Need the solid state four wire version (three lugs and a ground wire). No noise from mine, at least not with the engine running.

Larry

Perihelion wig wag module. Works very well. Designed for experimental aircraft use. No noise

I used "Crazed Pilot" wig-wag. I found out you can not do a local ground with the wig wag, mine at least, needed a dedicated ground running from each wing all the way to the wig-wag unit.

Last edited:
Do you hear the relay switching in the cabin?

It is very quiet, but can hear it with the engine off. Cannot hear it with the engine running. It is MUCH quieter than the mechanical type with the points clacking back and forth.

Larry

I was asked: "By using this wig way relay, do you have the option (by using a 3 way switch), to use in wig-wag mode, steady-on mode, and off?" and the answer is yes. Just wire the second set of contacts to bypass the relay and you get that exact option. This is how a 3 position switch would be connected to achieve the results.

WigWag Circuit - 3 Position.png

I used two switches (my personal preference) to do this. With this setup if you turn both switches on at the same time the steady-on mode (Landing/Taxi) overrides the wig-wag mode (Recognition) so you don't accidentally go to wig-wag mode when landing or taxiing. This is SUPER IMPORTANT when landing or taxiing at night. This is how to do it with two switches.

WigWag Circuit.png

I have had it this way in my panel for over 9yrs and it works beautifully.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thank you Galin for taking the time to explain !

I was asked: "By using this wig way relay, do you have the option (by using a 3 way switch), to use in wig-wag mode, steady-on mode, and off?" and the answer is yes. Just wire the second set of contacts to bypass the relay and you get that exact option. This is how a 3 position switch would be connected to achieve the results.

View attachment 31992

I used two switches (my personal preference) to do this. With this setup if you turn both switches on at the same time the steady-on mode (Landing/Taxi) overrides the wig-wag mode (Recognition) so you don't accidentally go to wig-wag mode when landing or taxiing. This is SUPER IMPORTANT when landing or taxiing at night. This is how to do it with two switches.

View attachment 31961

I have had it this way in my panel for over 9yrs and it works beautifully.

Just to clarify: This does NOT wig-wag the lights. It flashes them together. To wig-wag you would need two flashers, a different setup and they would not be synchronized.

Back