What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP Switches turning off in flight

rvator51

Well Known Member
We have a VP-50 controller in our RV-4 that has worked great since installed. Last week we flew to Abilene TX from Phoenix for LOE. We had some heavy bumps the last few hundred miles in Texas. Twice I looked down to see that the Avionics power switch and the Alt switch on the VP switch panel had turned off. I can only guess that the bumps overcame the internal resistance in the switches and they went down as a result of the bumps. So I am wondering now if the switches have weakened from constant use. Has anyone else had this problem?

It maybe a could idea to check the main buss and all connections for a good tight fit.

Bird

We have a VP-50 controller in our RV-4 that has worked great since installed. Last week we flew to Abilene TX from Phoenix for LOE. We had some heavy bumps the last few hundred miles in Texas. Twice I looked down to see that the Avionics power switch and the Alt switch on the VP switch panel had turned off. I can only guess that the bumps overcame the internal resistance in the switches and they went down as a result of the bumps. So I am wondering now if the switches have weakened from constant use. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't have a VP50, but my guess is that g forces capable of physically moving the switches are -way- in excess of anything you or the plane could withstand.

One thing I have experienced is switches moving position during moderate to severe turbulence because objects moving around the cabin hit them. We had a 1970s Cessna with the Cessna/ARC transponder that had the tiny little toggles to set the squawk code. I used to keep approach plates on top of the throttle quadrant, and they would "levitate" into the transponder in bumps and change my squawk. Annoyed ATC.

Have you tried the vertical power forums?

Hey Thomas,

I can't imagine any bumps along the way would be enough to cause the switches to physically move to the down position...if you would like us to take a look at them, we can, just let me know.

Nobody seems to think the switches could have turned themselves off in heavy bumps. A Dynon Skyview is above the VP-50. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe my hand slipped down during the bumps and turned off the switches while I was changing a setting on the Skyview. I sure dont remember it and it happened twice. I may take the VP-50 out of the panel and hang it under the panel to get it away from the Skyview. I was going to either do that or update to the latest VP that doesnt use a switch panel to allow me to make room so I could trade my 7" Skyview for a 10" Skyview. The other ides would be to put some type of guard just above the VP-50. Thanks for everyone's replies.

hand hold or ridge for bracing...

It is very helpful to have something to help brace your hand when pushing buttons during turbulence... Lots of ways to do this depending on arrangement and how you reach and so on. Garmin incorporates an 'eyebrow' type ridge on some units that looks like a nice solution. I have the radios proud of the panel a bit and that works well too.

Back