What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Johnson Creek

texdog

Well Known Member
I know it’s early, but anyone going to Johnson Creek in late June? We are thinking about a June 26 or later arrival from Texas. We need to be in Cody, Wy. June 25 and then one night at Smiley Creek and Johnson creek next.

July Johnson Creek

We didn’t get to Johnson Creek in June, weather. We are going to try again July 10 from Fredericksburg, Tx. Anyone else going?

We didn’t get to Johnson Creek in June, weather.

Just there week before last, and yeah, we got run out early due to forecast incoming weather.

I know we all love Johnson Creek (I did), but I'll highly recommend Garden Valley (https://www.airnav.com/airport/U88) as a base. Not crowded, great facilities, courtesy car, top notch grocery store and breakfast restaurant 3 or 4 miles away. Strip was in excellent shape. One way in and out, but uphill, with a clear approach. Only downside is the locals have a shooting range nearby and use it.

Plenty of rocks, soft dirt, and gopher holes at Smiley. Go over there, fly the Sawtooth wilderness, then go back to GV.

Attachments

• Breakfast.jpg
    Breakfast.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Garden Valley.jpg
    Garden Valley.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Upwind Garden Valley.jpg
    Upwind Garden Valley.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Just there week before last, and yeah, we got run out early due to forecast incoming weather.

I know we all love Johnson Creek (I did), but I'll highly recommend Garden Valley (https://www.airnav.com/airport/U88) as a base. Not crowded, great facilities, courtesy car, top notch grocery store and breakfast restaurant 3 or 4 miles away. Strip was in excellent shape. One way in and out, but uphill, with a clear approach. Only downside is the locals have a shooting range nearby and use it.

Plenty of rocks, soft dirt, and gopher holes at Smiley. Go over there, fly the Sawtooth wilderness, then go back to GV.

I second that Dan.

Been to Garden Valley a couple of times. Plan to go back.
The local White water rafting outfitter will pick you up at the airport if you book a float with them.

Dan, do you think Garden Valley would be Ok for nose wheel RVs?

Yes. Photo is Garden Valley Rwy 28, looking downhill as for departure. Even the patchy places are pretty smooth. The landing zone at the far end is irrigated.

Smiley Creek was ok in the middle, but soft, rocky, and full of gopher holes elsewhere. It was fun watching airplanes blowing rooster tails on takeoff.

Johnson Creek was fine of course.

Warm Springs Creek was good for the first 2/3, but I would not use the last third due to gopher holes. You won't need it anyway.

Attachments

• Garden Valley Rwy 28.jpg
    Garden Valley Rwy 28.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Teslin

I landed ar Teslin YT in 2019. Gravel, dirt and mud, weather got me. I held the stick all the way back and didn’t slow down much until I was parked. Not one ding anywhere, thank goodness.
Thanks for the information, Dan how long did it take you to get there? I’m 6.5 from Fredericksburg.

Dan how long did it take you to get there? I’m 6.5 from Fredericksburg.

Left Friday morning, didn't make Idaho until Tuesday afternoon. Had fun along the way.

Probably 8.5 direct.

When I decided to go home, it was evening in Los Angeles. I was at my own table for dinner next day. Magic machine.

Spent the night out on the ramp at Casa Grande, bedded down under the stars next to the airplane. Nice desert breeze, about 80F, dry as toast. Very pleasant.

Left Friday morning, didn't make Idaho until Tuesday afternoon. Had fun along the way.

Probably 8.5 direct.

When I decided to go home, it was evening in Los Angeles. I was at my own table for dinner next day. Magic machine.

Spent the night out on the ramp at Casa Grande, bedded down under the stars next to the airplane. Nice desert breeze, about 80F, dry as toast. Very pleasant.

Had I known you were in Casa Grande I would have offered a cold beverage and a cooler place to sleep than the ramp.

Hotel or Cabin?

Garden Valley looks great. I’ll be headed back West next week and can stop off there. I don’t have my camping gear, so is there a recommendation on cabin, hotel, etc that someone can recommend?

I flew into Garden Valley for the Eclipse in August of 2017. Did a day of whitewater rafting which was great. The camping there was really nice. Saw the total solar eclipse (epic!) and took off back to SoCal. This was my first ever grass runway, which was a non-event, but I did catch a rock or something in my wheel pant and it got a small crack in the fiberglass.

Headed to JC July 5th till 9th. Looking forward to seeing GV for the first time. May move home base there since JC is getting crowded.

Back