What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Lycoming market/availability?

AzAero

Curious what the market and availability is like for a used mid time Lycoming engine these days? Looking at a Pitts S2E kit/project with no engine or prop. Would prefer the 200hp io360 but would also consider 180hp. I would imagine as with everything else these days both demand and price are on the high end, especially with the large number of RV's currently being built. Thoughts appreciated. THX!

Anecdotal, but just yesterday an engine vendor told me of setting a new personal record for the purchase of a 540 core.

If the trend follows the car business and other markets, Lycoming's announced price increase will drive up the value of used engines.

Prices

I sold a 3000hr Aerostar motor a couple of weeks ago for 10k, no questions asked. I called engine shiop about getting 4 M1B intake tubes and the price is now $300 each, $1200 a set. They also told me the crank in the engine I sold is running around 10k to 12k. I think the used prices of engines and parts is getting ready to surprise a lot of folks, including me....

I wonder if we will start seeing old twins parted out. It seems to be much more cost effective to buy a Piper Aztec, and have two RV-10 engines and props for much less than a single new Lycoming...

used aircraft market

I wonder if we will start seeing old twins parted out. It seems to be much more cost effective to buy a Piper Aztec, and have two RV-10 engines and props for much less than a single new Lycoming...

So with the price of used aircraft going higher, does the old Aztec have any value as a flying airplane?

I am waiting for the new business that starts up refurbishing older planes for the private pilot market. There were (are) some wonderful airplanes from the 70's and 80's

I am waiting for the new business that starts up refurbishing older planes for the private pilot market. There were (are) some wonderful airplanes from the 70's and 80's

Memory is hazy, but I think Sporty's took kind of a stab at this concept some years ago. They took a 172 with the intent of turning it into a "modern" restored trainer. They stripped it down, rebuilt/restored it with basic six-pack and kept the price quite low/reasonable. Far more reasonable than what SkyChickens are going for today....

I might have one...

Curious what the market and availability is like for a used mid time Lycoming engine these days? Looking at a Pitts S2E kit/project with no engine or prop. Would prefer the 200hp io360 but would also consider 180hp. I would imagine as with everything else these days both demand and price are on the high end, especially with the large number of RV's currently being built. Thoughts appreciated. THX!

I’ve got a 525 hour io360 with the c1c sump and intake. No accessories.
Call if your interested.
Clint
605-891-1290

Memory is hazy, but I think Sporty's took kind of a stab at this concept some years ago. They took a 172 with the intent of turning it into a "modern" restored trainer. They stripped it down, rebuilt/restored it with basic six-pack and kept the price quite low/reasonable. Far more reasonable than what SkyChickens are going for today....

I have seen numerous examples of companies that have ben started up to do this over the years, and none of them seem to have remained in the business for very long. There are obviously some mod shops that continue to turn out upgraded, refurbished plans for special purposes (the Katmai conversion for 182’s is an example), but no one seems to have solved th problem of mass-producing refurbished “every man” airplanes.

My personal observation is that since they are working with certified airplanes, they have to buy all their parts from the manufacturer (expensive!!), or they have to apply for STC’s (even MORE expensive!!!), so the prices don’t work out to make a viable business.

Paul

I also have a Pitts S1-C project that needs a motor. Actually we have a basket case O-235 but wanting to upgrade to a IO-320 or 360. Thinking to sell the 235 parts and put it towards the new motor.

Not at the moment

Just a couple of years ago you couldn’t give a twin away. Now, if it airworthy, they are bringing top dollar. If inflation continues, we may start to see some of these hangar queens being parted out just for the reason that Paul mentioned. Normal stuff is hard to come by but old airplane stock is nonexistent or priced out of this world. Vans is still the best value hands down, even with the price increase, all things being considered.

So with the price of used aircraft going higher, does the old Aztec have any value as a flying airplane?

I sold my running (tired) certified O-360-A4A that was at TBO for $8k a year ago. It had a solid crank, so probably wouldn't be a Pitts candidate, but that might give you a reference. The guy who bought it is an A&P/IA and experience rebuilding certified engines, so doing the assembly work himself. He had the cylinders rebuilt for $5200 (including pistons), purchased a new came, bearing, machine work, rebuild carb, sent the mags out for rebuild, fuel pump, alternator, etc. He said he will have $17-18k into the engine by the time he has it running.

There have been companies doing this with 172s for many years. Don't know how sustainable it is over the long term. Jaun Brown showcased a 172 on the way to Alaska from the factory that was around $500k as I recall. That's a lot of money. The price of new creates opportunities for refurbishing, no doubt.

Last edited:
I also have a Pitts S1-C project that needs a motor. Actually we have a basket case O-235 but wanting to upgrade to a IO-320 or 360. Thinking to sell the 235 parts and put it towards the new motor.

This is funny... I have a low time IO-360 (PV) that I've been hanging onto while searching for a S-1C project.

Seems we never get what we want!

This is funny... I have a low time IO-360 (PV) that I've been hanging onto while searching for a S-1C project.

Seems we never get what we want!

I’m another RV builder with a Pitts S-1S rebuild project. Picked up a O-360 converted to AFS injection and 1700 hrs. Excellent maintenance over the years and flown often. It should give me several hundred hrs in the Pitts for less than 1/4 price of a new one.

If any of airboat guys are monitoring the market I would have a high time still running smooth O-320-D2G for sale by the end of the year. Cheap make me an offer :D

Sat%20Nov%2026%2015-19-03.jpg

IO 360 M1

I have an IO 360 M1 engine built by Aerosport Power that I removed due to high oil consumption (and because I really wanted a Lycoming Thunderbolt engine). About 1800 SMOH, compressions 78/80, oil analysis since SMOH. Was burning about 1 qt to 2 hours when removed. Needs to have cylinders rebuilt with new rings. I'm trying to ascertain the value of this engine; Lycoming requires a $17,400 deposit refundable if the core checks out good, whereupon the deposit is refunded. Any non-serviceable parts cost is deducted from the deposit. They do not consider the cylinders in the core, as they always rebuild with new cylinders. Anyone out there willing to give me some advice on the value of the engine? Thanks!:confused:

IO-360 B1E CS Prop

I have an IO-360 B1E-180hp, Rear intake, and CS unit at back of engine, that came off of a Piper Arrow that had a right gear collapse on a cross wind landing. I bought the engine because I was going to build a RV-9A. I got the builder number and tail kit just after I bought the engine.
I inherited my dad's ARV Griffin project and will be finishing it and putting the O-320 on it.

So, I tore the IO-360 engine down and was getting the engine components inspected. Main engine Case - yellow tagged by DIVCO, Crankshaft - yellow tagged, all four cylinders reworked and - Yellow tagged in chandler. Since everything came back with no issues from the prop strike, I was going to start cleaning the remaining items up and work with an experienced A/P and put it back together. That will make the engine certified and have approximately 950 hours remaining on the TBO for a certified engine. Realistically, if it goes on an Experimental, it could have many more hours of useful life. Since i intend to use all new bearings and seals to make it right from here forward.

Question, should I put the effort to get it back together or sell as is. I understand the value of it will be much greater fully assembled.

Thoughts and guidance. Thank you in advance.

Don Wirthlin
[email protected]

Actually, you would likely make significantly more parting it out with all the yellow tags than assembled.

It depends - do want to learn how to rebuild an engine with the A&P's guidance? That could be worth something to you, or not -

I have an IO-360 B1E-180hp, Rear intake, and CS unit at back of engine, that came off of a Piper Arrow that had a right gear collapse on a cross wind landing. I bought the engine because I was going to build a RV-9A. I got the builder number and tail kit just after I bought the engine.
I inherited my dad's ARV Griffin project and will be finishing it and putting the O-320 on it.

So, I tore the IO-360 engine down and was getting the engine components inspected. Main engine Case - yellow tagged by DIVCO, Crankshaft - yellow tagged, all four cylinders reworked and - Yellow tagged in chandler. Since everything came back with no issues from the prop strike, I was going to start cleaning the remaining items up and work with an experienced A/P and put it back together. That will make the engine certified and have approximately 950 hours remaining on the TBO for a certified engine. Realistically, if it goes on an Experimental, it could have many more hours of useful life. Since i intend to use all new bearings and seals to make it right from here forward.

Question, should I put the effort to get it back together or sell as is. I understand the value of it will be much greater fully assembled.

Don Wirthlin
[email protected]

If you had the crank, case, and cylinders re-worked, and you are putting in new bearings (and obviously seals and gaskets….), you are awfully close to calling it “zero time since overhaul” - just replace the rest of the parts (a couple thousand bucks at most) required by Lycoming to call it “overhauled” - it seems silly not to do that with all the work you’ve had done already.

Then….build or sell as a “kit”, depending on your needs for and engine, building experience, or money…..

Don Wirthlin
[email protected]

I may be interested in it as is. I'll have to swap the sump, but that should be no biggie. I drove to KC this week to pick up a core, but the gentleman changed his mind on parting the airplane after I got there... so I'm back in the market.

Back