What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How late in the year is too late for Idaho?

Levoe210

I'd like to hit Johnson of course. Other recommended spots welcomed. Anyone doing a trip in Sept or October? How late is usually too late for good weather? Thank you in advance
Kris

Weather is changing back

Just my opinion, but the weather this winter maybe different than the last few years; I stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night and I think that we may see an early winter. Be careful out there. (Truthfully, I have a scientific basis for my opinion) JMHO

We were at Priest Lake (Cavanaugh Bay) a few years ago toward the end of September and as I recall, the newly appointed czar of Idaho back country airstrips had decided that all of them should close on Oct. 1. I don't know if that policy has been changed, but do check to be sure the ones you want to visit are still open.

A nice little town with some cabins, food, and fishing is Stanley (U88)or McCall (KMYL).

Garden Valley (2U7) is a nice grass runway. I dont know about food or camping but they have fishing right there. Here is a video of the landing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPYZwTbA98Q

You do have to consider weather and by the end of Oct there could be some snow but most likely melt. Stanley and McCall are paved and could be a backup. Have fun. Stop by KEUL and say hi to all my friends there!!

J Creek

I'll be at Johnson Creek the 26th, 27th, 28th of August. The weather should be good. Cold in the morning. A few years ago it was 17* in the morning on Labor Day weekend at Smiley Creek but weather was good.

Steve

oh boy

Glad I asked... Definitely late in the season. Wishful thinking that I had all of September to make it happen. I'm at KCCB in Southern California. Any preferred routes, or more importantly routes not to go? Thank you all in advance.

Kris

I like the east side of the Sierra. Bishop is one of my favorite places. This is the route I would go. You could stop in Dayton NV and say hi to all the guys there!

IYK O26 BIH MMH A34 WMC KEUL KMCL (or Johnson Creek if open)

Just my opinion

Please tell us more about the early winter opinion

This is just my opinion and it does not follow the preferred group think.

The sun spot activity has been dormant for the past 12 years. La Nina has been active for the last seven or so years. (NASA data) (Sunspot activity is thought to expand the upper atmosphere, affecting the weather and winds)

In fact, several years ago there were NO sunspots for the entire year. last year the sun had major sunspot eruptions, and even a few weeks ago it was very active. La Nina has completely broken down in the east pacific. (Howard's weather discussion for eastern Sierra)

We have been seeing the return to the normal fall flash floods in Vegas and New Mexico; haven't seen those for nearly a decade, but before then was not unusual. Europe usually goes through a severe drought every few years in the fall; hasn't happened in a few years (decade?) until this year. I could go on. but those of us who remember the "normal " weather of the 70, 80 and 90, remember this is now getting back to normal.

Just my humble opinion.

Lastly, they dont call it mother nature for nothing; just when you think you got it figured out.....

Last edited:
We camped at several of the Idaho airstrips in early September and it was great. Below freezing at night at Smiley Creek and Johnson Creek, but nice days and quiet. Water was turned off at some of the airstrips. October is very late though. You would likely encounter a more active pattern of storms and snow at the higher elevations.

La Nina has completely broken down in the east pacific.

This is not at all true. In fact, sea surface temperatures are pointing to a 3rd straight La Nina winter (La Nina conditions have persisted throughout this summer as well) with above average sea surface temps in the north Pacific and below average temps in the equatorial Pacific.

If true

This is not at all true. In fact, sea surface temperatures are pointing to a 3rd straight La Nina winter (La Nina conditions have persisted throughout this summer as well) with above average sea surface temps in the north Pacific and below average temps in the equatorial Pacific.

If this remains true, then I will have to correct my prediction....

I still believe it is true what I said about Mother Nature thou...

Ian Greenwood
Tue, August 23, 2022 at 12:00 PM

This article originally appeared on Ski Mag

The long-range winter forecast could be good news for skiers living in the certain parts of the U.S. and Canada. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) estimates that the chance of a La Nina occurring this fall and early winter is 86 percent, and the main beneficiary is expected to be mountains in the Northwest and Northern Rockies.

If NOAA's predictions pan out, this will be the third La Nina in a row--a rare phenomenon called a "Triple Dip La Nina." Between now and 1950, only two Triple Dips have occurred.

This is just my opinion and it does not follow the preferred group think.

The sun spot activity has been dormant for the past 12 years. La Nina has been active for the last seven or so years. (NASA data) (Sunspot activity is thought to expand the upper atmosphere, affecting the weather and winds)

In fact, several years ago there were NO sunspots for the entire year. last year the sun had major sunspot eruptions, and even a few weeks ago it was very active. La Nina has completely broken down in the east pacific. (Howard's weather discussion for eastern Sierra)

We have been seeing the return to the normal fall flash floods in Vegas and New Mexico; haven't seen those for nearly a decade, but before then was not unusual. Europe usually goes through a severe drought every few years in the fall; hasn't happened in a few years (decade?) until this year. I could go on. but those of us who remember the "normal " weather of the 70, 80 and 90, remember this is now getting back to normal.

Just my humble opinion.

Lastly, they dont call it mother nature for nothing; just when you think you got it figured out.....

Back