What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

K&N Air Filter Change

LarryT

Well Known Member
Aircraft is RV-6A w/ O-320 engine and MA-4SPA 10 - 5217 carburetor.

I installed an E-3322 Air Filter instead of the E-3260 sold by Vans because I did not like the idea of taking a divet out of the air filter and patching it up with RTV.

A calculation of the perimeter of the E-3260 round filter showed that its ID is 0.2" too short in the intended oval application. A calculation of the E-3322 showed that it was 0.39" too long for a perfectly oval application. I reasoned that this might be just enough extra to stretch around the mixture enrichment casting boss on the aft side of the carb and the accelerator pump bottom cover on the pilot's side of the carb. After purchasing a E-3322 from the local speed shop, Baxter Auto Parts, I tried installing the E-3322 on the carburetor. It fit without modification.

E-3260 has a 300 cfm rating
E-3322 has a 295 CFM rating. The OD of this filter is 1/8" less than the 3260, which is what makes the packaging w/o modification possible.

For future reference, I have talked to K&N tech support and learned:

Air flow ratings are based on 6cfm/ sq. in of perimeter surface area.
Because the 3322 is a thinner ring (less pleat depth) the filter might have to be cleaned more than the the 3260.

HOwever, the filter cleaning interval for cars is 50K miles operating in a dirtier environment than our planes. 50K is 250+ hours, most of us probably don't fly that far between annuals.

Because I am a mechanical engineer I am very aware of the Law of Unintended Consequences. I hesitate to pronounce this a success since I haven't accumulated any hours in service. I guess I will just describe it as a "packaging success" that avoids cobbling up a filter.

Larry Tompkins

K & N Air Filter Change

Larry

I have just installed my E-3260 air filter supplied by Vans and am unimpressed by the concept of digging out part of the filter so I am keen on trying the
P No E-3322 as used by you.

Did you have to modify ANY of the mounting design to make it fit?

I would have thought thatthe lower plate would need to be enlarged as it just fits my filter.

Not a perfect fit

Graham:

You are correct. The fit is not perfect. There will be one short section of the circumference where the filter is about 50% outside the mounting plates. I deemed it a local diversion, fully supported on either side circumferentially and sealed top and bottom within the local diversion area.

I did not build my plane, so I don't know if the aluminum plates conform exactly to Van's drawings. In the interest of full disclosure, I got a PM from another VAF member who tried my idea and did not like it. I have been pleased with my results so far - so maybe I am just easy to please or in love with my own ideas :)

Larry

It worked after some cutting. ..

I installed the E-3322, but I still had to do some cutting. Not as bad as the other filter though and I didn't need rtv to seal it.
It was a worthwhile change, but I'm going to probably remake the plate next time so I have more flexibility in shaping the filter.
I haven't noticed any degradation of performance due to the thinner filter. I read several years ago someone tried no filter and had a measurable drop in performance.

I switched my filter to the E-3322 last year. It required me to fabricate a new airbox plate attached to the bottom of the carburator but that was easy enough and while I was at it I remade the carb heat flapper in the airbox. I'm very pleased so far and happy not to worry about that big glob of RTV that was on the old shrunken filter. So far, 150 hrs and no issues.

I tried the E-3322 filter as suggested in this thread. I also made a NEW bottom plate to fit the filter.

I do NOT like the E-3322 filter. It will fit around the bottom of the accelerator clamp but will not fit inside my VA-130-B without a lot of modification.

The filter recommended by Van's works a lot better on my airplane even thought I must modify it to work.

Now I have a $35 filter from Amazon that has been opened and cannot be returned. Guess I will list it in the Classified for FREE if you pay the shipping.

Back