What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero: Leather vs Synthetic?

roofus4

I’m getting close to ordering a new interior from Classic Aero, but I’m hung up on the choice between leather or synthetic. It’s not a money thing. I’ll gladly pay for the leather, but seems like there might be numerous advantages to the synthetic. One being that the synthetic seems to be a little cooler? So someone said. My primary color is going to be black, and we all know how that’s going to go in the summer.

Anyone able to share their long term experience with either? Although I’m probably more interested in opinions on the synthetic. My current interior is leather, and I feel like I have a handle on the long-term outlook.

I’m switching from a lighter tan color in my current interior, to the black for two reasons. One, just to switch it up. Two, my current interior is dirty AF! Current interior is about 13 years old.

Just as a data point I have a Classic Aero design Aviator black leather interior in my RV-8.
I have it since 2012 and still looks like new. Very happy with the quality of the product. I am ordering the same interior for my second RV-8.
I have seen both synthetic and leather and personally prefer the aspect of the leather.

Black!

Hey Bastien, tell me more about the black! I’m a little worried about the heat in summer. But then of course there’s a bajillion cars with black leather. If you are ordering the same again, you must not mind the heat?

I have ultraleather in both the 6 (800 hrs) and the 10 (225 hrs). Wears like iron and very comfortable. Also way cheaper than lather if you do it yourself.

Larry

I went with the synthetic leather Sportsman seats and sidewalls, and love it. They still look nearly new after 900 hours and the fit/finish is great.

Robert, since the sheepskin is not really what the OP wanted to learn about, I'm sending you a PM. But I would not have anything but sheepskin.

Dave

Coming up on 1000 hours on our ultra leather interior and it looks like new. Highly recommend it!

I’ve got the classic aero leather in light/dark gray. It gets dirty at times and I’ve cleaned it with high quality leather cleaners and it always comes clean, but each time you can tell that some of the dye comes off on the rags (I guess there are no gray cows out there…). There are some small spots that the dye is gone. It’s been in the plane for 5 years and 500 hours.
I love the feel and smell of the leather, but if I was to do it over I’d go with the synthetic.

Attachments

• A458574C-CF52-4273-B323-100D7BFAA7F3.jpeg
    A458574C-CF52-4273-B323-100D7BFAA7F3.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 129
I’ve had leather, ultralight leather (synthetic), and cloth. I prefer the synthetic. It’s lighter, wears much better than leather, looks great, and……. considerably cheaper than leather. Leather smells the best, but you can get one of those dangling things that hangs from your rear view mirror that smells like leather. Most people would think you have real leather.

I decided that with my Classic Interiors seats that I couldnt bring myself to step on leather seats every time I got in and out. I got the fake leather. To me it is hard to tell the difference than the real stuff in my car other than it can be wiped off pretty easily. I think I will get sheepskin covers this winter. Im sure they will be nice and dry after stepping on them with wet-snow covered feet!!

Leather vs Ultra Leather (synthetic)

I had ultra leather initially (2years) but just “had to have that leather texture and smell”! The leather Classic Aero looks great but does not wear quite as well as ultra, is heavier, and is not as easy to clean. If I do it again it will be all ultra leather!
My 2 cents!

Cheers
db1yg

I decided that with my Classic Interiors seats that I couldnt bring myself to step on leather seats every time I got in and out. I got the fake leather. To me it is hard to tell the difference than the real stuff in my car other than it can be wiped off pretty easily. I think I will get sheepskin covers this winter. Im sure they will be nice and dry after stepping on them with wet-snow covered feet!!

Cheap hand-towels on the seats . . .

Holy smokes! You guys are awesome! This in the info I’m looking for! Thanks so much for all your opinions. I think I’m leaning towards the synthetic based on what I’m hearing. Not that leather is bad, but that synthetic is good. Ultimately, my goal is longevity. Seems like, if I’m going to go with black, the synthetic might be a tad cooler too. Also, being that my current interior is the leather, I am able to see how that ages overtime, and I don’t like the micro creases that it has after 1400 hrs. Sounds like the synthetic doesn’t do that.

Rob

Guess I'll post the basics here. Apologies to the OP.

You use the stuff with the fur on. I've never seen the leather without the fur, so you probably won't need to specify that little nuance. I like at least 1/2" thick, more is okay to a point, less isn't really as good.

It comes in most of the major colors.

It's warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and wears well. It will get dirty, if you step on it, so plan on using something like a towel to keep dirt from your feet off, getting in and out.

You can get a look at them by Googling sheepskin covers for car seats.

I have sheepskin in my C180 and will absolutely put it in my little RV-3B that I'm building.

Give it a try, and you won't go back.

Dave

We were worried about going with the black, but realized the plane will have a canopy cover on it 99% of the time its left outside. It'll still be warm, but hopefully won't be too bad. We were really happy with the darker colors once we got to test fit the interior.

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_182436424.jpg
    PXL_20211023_182436424.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 171
Back