What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS signal splitting

Mtherr

Well Known Member
Patron
Until now, the TX of my GPS feeds two receivers: my EFIS and my fuel flow computer.

I would have several other devices that could benefit from that RS232 GPS output:

. Auto pilot
. Secondary EFIS (AV-30)
. Why not…. ELT…

Seems splitting TX for two devices is no issue.. but what would be the maximum?

Other solutions?

Not sure what the official specification supports but I have daisy chained the RS232 from my portable GPS to 4 separate subsystems without any issues.
Figs

I would not call what you are doing as GPS signal splitting. I would call it RS232 serial daisy chain connection of multiple devices. You want to take the serial RS232 signal and have it daisy chained to multiple devices.

RS232 started back in 1960 and has been revised over the years. Yes it can drive multiple devices and does in my airplane. Not sure what the limit is on number of devices and distance.

In your case, the RS232 signal would have GPS data being passed to other devices. I only have RS232 data from my GPS going to my autopilot. IF the other devices you want to connect use the same format of data and data speed (baud rate), then it should work. The format and speed of the data could become issues with other devices providing the signal has not been degraded.

Back